Do All auto reset targets

DennisD

Anyone have experience with these? I just got in the .22 and the .38-.44 caliber models. They suggest 30 yards minimum? For off hand, that is going to be quite a challenge (at least to me). Also, it suggests soft nose; no FMJ. Now I have to buy special ammo for practice? I usually shoot FMJ at paper. Any comments?

How about soft jacketed soft nose (I think they are soft copper jacket but with a lead nose) like the ammo from Magtech? Those are what I'm thinking about using. The .22 are no problem since the ammo I use is copper washed lead. For the .357's I will use .38spl lead ball or the SJSP. I'm most concerned with the semi autos I have. I really don't want to shoot full lead in those (I don't think it's even commercially available in .40 or .45 ammo?) so I'm thinking the SJSP will be the ticket. Has anyone tried SJSP on these steel targets? Damn, I wish I didn't have so much FMJ ammo on hand.

Officer's Match

I've got a 38-44 spinner that I've shot with 9mm, 45acp, and 10mm (that really spins it). For 9mm, I use Remington 115 +P JHP, which works very well thru my PT92. For the 45acp, I use PMC 185 JHP. For the 10mm, PMC 180JHP. They all really splat on the target, and no significant damage yet.

DennisD

I've got a 38-44 spinner that I've shot with 9mm, 45acp, and 10mm (that really spins it). For 9mm, I use Remington 115 +P JHP, which works very well thru my PT92. For the 45acp, I use PMC 185 JHP. For the 10mm, PMC 180JHP. They all really splat on the target, and no significant damage yet.

Thanks for the tip. That means I should be able to use the 800 rounds of .40 Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement ammo I have. It kinda answers my question about the soft nose ammo also because I would think that would "splat" as well. I do metal fabrication for a hobby so I think I can do minor repairs to make the targets last quite some time.

Travismaine

Also depends on the steel used to make the target. I have a gong that has been hit at least 1000 times with .308 and .223 that just has a few small dents. I have also had gongs that a .223 would put a hole in at 100 yards.

T. O'Heir

Even at 30 yards you can get splinters coming back. I've been hit by spent FMJ's at longer distances than that. Got hit on the leg, long ago, at Second Chance.
Cast bullets work just fine out of my .45. The velocities need to be kept down though. Round balls aren't the best for any .38 load. Use cast bullets in it too. Mind you, I don't use any factory ammo in any of my firearms.

DennisD

Wait, you have HOW much Ranger??

Something like 800. Bought 300 at a local gun shop for $17/50 + tax and got 500 for $18/50 + shipping at Sportsman's Warehouse recently. I know it's a lot but that is my carry ammo and I wanted to shoot a lot of it through my new M&P.