DO-ALL AERIAL ASSAULT AUTOMATIC TRAP thrower

GLK

Any of you clay shooters familiar with the DO-ALL AERIAL ASSAULT AUTOMATIC TRAP thrower. I just ordered one from Natchez shooting supply. Normally it sells for $599.00 everywhere I have ever seen it. They (natchez) have them on sale for $399.00 after discount and store gift card use. I was just curious if there is any special maintenance needed or quirks I should be aware of.
Thanks in advance,
Gary
P.S. link below shows photo of thrower.

http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/DOAA7777.jpg

Last edited:

butwhat

My neighbor has one. The motor went out on his shortly after purchase. He called and after a few questions sent him a new motor.

skeeter1

I don't know about their clay throwers, but I can tell you that Do-All is a first-class company to do buisiness with. I bought one of their steel .22 bullet traps, and it was missing one screw. I emailed them, and they sent me a package of twelve! Great company, and they stand behind their products.

http://www.do-alltraps.com/

cobra81

One of my shooting buddies got one of these just this year. He had a few initial problems with it, but Do-All mailed him a whole new assembly. I think he paid $399 for his.

When we've used it, three things I have noticed:

1. It breaks quite a few birds when launching.
2. It throws harder and farther than most traps!
3. When you get down to the bottom of the stack, it tends to jam.

He has experimented with the throwing tension to try to alleviate the broken bird on launch problem, but it doesn't seem to help.

On the positive side, it is reasonably portable, and it has has the advantage of plugging in additional power cords to extend your remote release capability, which lets you try different presentations.

He runs his off a deep-cycle battery, and it has yet to be re-charged, after a summer of shooting.

hossdaniels

i got a plain old do-all clay hawk trap, but it didn't work when i got it. I called and they sent another in 2 days, but it still doesn't work right.:mad:

JiminCA

I have one which I bought on the same deal from Natchez a few months ago and after I got it sorted out it works just fine.

Your next step up would be an Atlas or something like that which will cost you something north of 750 bucks. When you consider what you pay for this unit, you should be understanding that it is not at the same quality level.

Mine had the first revision of the throwing arm and the lucite plate beneath the arm. That system does not work. They sent me a new assembly which I put together and the unit still cracked shells while holding them. Clipping a couple of coils off of the spring that loads the plunger that holds up the stack of shells fixed it (the spring was bottoming out). Also I had to tweak the arm so that it didn't pinch and break the shell as it threw the clays.

I probably spent 2 hours calling DoAll and assembling/fiddling with it to get it lined out.

Here's the bottom line. I think the Natchez stock consists of the old style units, which is probably why they're offering the discount. If you have a lucite plate, just call DoAll up and they'll send you the proper retrofit kit. After that you may have to tweak the arm a bit and clip the spring but once you get it sorted out it works just fine. The people at DoAll did their best to be helpful and offered good technical advice.

I can't comment as to longevity. Having only used it a few months I can't say it it'll last years and years under heavy use or other problems will develop. I can say it represents a good value at the 399 price and if you have any mechanical skills at all you should be able to sort it out.

GLK

Thanks to everyone for their replys. I read 18 pages of post on another BB and all in all it seems the company really stepped up when issues arouse and the units are a good value. My particular unit will be used by maybe two or three shooters a couple times a month. I'll report back after it gets its first work out.
Thanks again everyone,
Gary