DIY Chamber cast

chiefr

I picked up a typical Spanish Mauser at a flea market several years ago. The gun is in excellent shape. However the guy I bought it from told me the rifle was "rechambered for something". I did mike the bore and found it to be 7mm, but I have no idea what the gun was rechambered to and I want to shoot it.
I was thinking about making a cast of the chamber and thought I would ask if there is any "Do It Yourself" methods or kits out there to do this w/o messing up the rifle. Thx chiefR

Scorch

CerroSafe is a low-temperature lead alloy used for making chamber casts, it is available from Midway.

Your Spanish Mauser is most likely in 7X57, but is it always a good idea to check.

chiefr

Scorch, thanks for the input. I was thinking about using low temp melt of parrafin, then freezing the barrel and blowing the slug out with compressed air.
Have you or any viewers of this post had any experience with cerrosafe?

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I have used Cerrosafe in my Glock barrels....

It's pretty easy to do but you can have a trick getting to the chamber on some rifles.

Cerrosafe melts at like 165f, or thereabouts, so you can melt it, literally, with a hairdryer.

When I did my cast, I put the cerrosafe in a ladle, melted it SLOWLY with a torch and simply poured it carefully into the chamber (obviously with the barrel off the gun). I used a cotton bore mop pushed to the end chamber as a plug.

I understand that some people use funnels with a long neck to get the stuff into the more difficult to reach chambers. The problem is that it will harder very quickly. You have to have the funnel and neck warmed to prevent the stuff hardening in the funnel. You also want to have the chamber warm to near 160f to help get a good mold.

So, it's a bit of trouble to go to but it certainly makes a nice cast. You just have to make sure you get it out of there in the time prescribed our you'll have to figure out how to melt it inside the chamber because it expands after like 30 minutes (estimate).