Dissimilar Metals

olddav

I have a stainless steel barrel, a blued receiver and a aluminum scope base (1 piece). I am thinking of bedding the scope base and had a question pop into my mind. Will joining these three metals offer any challenges? Things like screws working loose, add stress to receiver as things heat and cool or anything else?

Jimro

I don't worry about it.

Use a small dab of blue threadlocker if you are worried about things working loose.

Jimro

Duzell

from a material science standpoint ill give the breakdown of material difference

usually the blued steel is tool steel or high carbon which is about 250 N/mm^2 and 150 N/mm^2 yeild

for the stainless you did not give a grade so i cant be specific, but it should be able to take 700 N/mm^2 TE, and a yield strength of 450 N/mm^2

for aluminum , Tensile strength much lower than the stainless, as is the yield. but its light and versatile

the only "difference" or noticeable quality that can come into effect with these materials is the heat expansion

aluminum expands quicker , then tool steel, and stainless expands slower than tool steel. but were talking about hundreds of degrees not your average shooting. so as stated by Jimiro blue locktite (or red if your doing hot shoots that could actually bring heat expansion)

another thought would be to lb gauge the tightness to a tolerance. not overly strong , nor overly loose. a good tool would be a small torque wrench

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
No reason for scope bases to work loose because of metallurgy. And as tight a fit as there is for barrel/receiver, none there either.

mete

If you drop it into salt water you might get some Galvanic corrosion ! Just keep it dry with a light coating of oil and you won't have much problem .

reynolds357

Most of the time you would not bed a scope base. Having said that, it is an invaluable practice on a Thompson Contender.

Picher

I've used Locktite Stud and Bearing Mount between aluminum bases and steel receivers, but use regular Locktite Red on scope bases. Other screws that may be removed more often get Blue Locktite, meant for such use. No Locktite is used on ring screws.

g.willikers

Joining different metals can cause problems.
But not in this case, for attaching a scope and mount.
Bedding materials don't care, and steel screws into steel are ok, too.

olddav

Why would I want to bed a scope base? BartB asked.

I've been reading about installing a one piece scope base on a bolt action rifle. The base could induce stress on the action if it does not fit perfectly. Bedding is a way to relieve any stress from the mating of the base and action. At least that is what I've been reading.

reynolds357

Old Dav, you would not want to install a one piece base that fit that poorly. It would have to be a real stout base to not bend to the action.

Pahoo

Little to no efffect !!!

Dissimilar Metals
Technically, you are correct but on this application, it will have little to no effect. You are not talking about much mass on any of your metals. In a previous life, I worked with large masses, piping and conduits. It did make a measured difference and I doubt that your is that measurable. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

olddav

I have never felt a need to bed a scope base before but why not try it. *As I'm sure you all realize, converting *variables to constants is always a good thing. Which is why I was asking about the differences in metal. I was concerned that the different expansion rates may cause thing to loosen up over time, and I guess that if I install the base during winter and travel to the desert during the summer it might develop a problem. Of course I'm basing this on what I've learned here. *Thanks*

I love this place.