disposal of 200+ rounds of 30.06

Rome

I've got 158 rounds of 30.06 which has proven to be nothing but horrible. I purchased two sealed cans from SOG a while back. The first can shot great and didn't have one ftf or hang fire. The second can, however, had both occur about 25% of the time. What a pain. (I've shot other ammo with my M1 and it worked perfectly so it isn't the rifle.) Anyway, I don't reload and wonder what I should do with this stuff. The brass and bullets are fine. The brass says: 60A 62 30 I don't have any friends who want it either. So, how would you suggest I dispose of it. It is reloadable. If anyone wants it, I'd ship it for postage.

Just for the sake of discussion, how would you get rid of poor ammo anyway, especially if there wasn't anyone locally who would be willing to take if from you?

Rome

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
To dispose of ammo like that if you live in the country you can always burn it. If that is not possible and you live near the ocean or a deep river you can always send it "swimming". If you do burn it be safe and as soon as the fire starts get the hell out of the way.

handgunhunting

DO NOT "BURN" THE BULLETS! You will get he bullets flying all over the place and unpredictable ways.
When I have bullets I do need anymore or shoot well I pull them and use the powder in the yard. You can buy a kinetic bullet puller cheep off ebay and just keep in the chance you have another problem like this Agin. Once the bullets are pullet and the powder is gotten rid of you can trade of sell the brass and or the bullets a lot easier.

2shots

If you decide to burn the ammo. nothong serious will happen other than noise. Cartridges require containment to work and tossing them into an open fire won't provide that necessary ingredient. When the appropriate temperature is reached and cook-off begins, the brass takes off, much like a cheap rocket. The bullets sort of peter-out. I've tried it.

Rome

Burning bullets

While I'm really really tempted to burn 158 rounds of 30.06 just to see what would happen, I'd prefer to dispose of them in a more "humane" way. I got an email from a friend I met on the internet here at TFL who has offered to take them from me and rebuild them for himself.

Thanks for the suggestions.

R

Jamie Young

I went threw this same problem a few weeks ago. I bought 600rds of cheap Chilean ammo for my FAL. Some of the ammo looked really nasty after I opened it up. Burry the ammo unless you find someone that wants to take it.