Displaying Firearms at Home

Double J

Here's my situation, I've ran out of room. Several gun safes are full. Guns starting to collect in every corner of the house. I've put up a new shop building/ playhouse and I'm wanting to make a display area for some of my collectables. For now, I'd like to display lever guns (many) and several dozen black powder arms.
What would be a safe way to display them? I have a good camera security system in place now. I'm thinking along the lines of a glass or lexan type enclosure perhaps. Any ideas? :)

kle

do a google-image search on "gun room"; that should give you some ideas...

I wish I were in your position, but I'm more of a handgunner, and I only have a few...

JBriggs

Its funny that you posted such a question, because a good friend of mine spoke of the same thing just yesterday. He was in the same dilemma, and he solved it by visiting a iron works site in his hometown. He had them make iron security fittings to hold his rifles that he could attach to the studs in his walls. Each fitting has a small lock on it. Such might work for you too.

ZEBRARANGER

Thats a tough situation to be in but I agree, nice problem to have. I personally wouldn't display any of my firearms for security reasons and I value them too much. although I do keep a couple strategically hidden in the main rooms of the house. I have no children in the home anymore, but I would worry about thugs or bored neighborhood young ones breaking in, or worse, professional criminals. I too have a good security system, but they can be overcome. Sounds like you need to turn one of your rooms into a gun vault.

Last edited:

tony pasley

I would sugest starting with rebuilding the walls with preasure treated plywood then build out to protect the room. Wood paneling with glass doors and a solid or steel door to the room

Double J

Building was built for my powder magazine. There are several other security measures that have been built into the building.
I like the 1/4" Lexan as a covering. Cable locks might work if I could come up with multiple locks that work with one key. Wouldn't want to sort through hundreds of keys all the time to find a match to one lock.
With good locks, I wouldn't need the expense of Lexan. Could use the cheaper glass panels as a front.