Display plaques I made for my 1851 "navy" pistols

maillemaker

I gave one of these to my Dad a few years ago, and he never shot it and gave it back to me.

They are really cheap pistols, I think they were like $150 in a starter kit. Turns out they are .44 caliber, which is incorrect for 1851 Navies, and so I can't use them in N-SSA shooting.

So I turned them into decorations for a wall that is going to be Civil War themed.

http://imgur.com/a/fpnfW

Steve

Beagle333

Wow, that is really nice. What a great display plaque. :)

I may have to borrow that style for my nickel navy. ;)

Last edited:

maillemaker

They were really easy to make.

Just a board from Home Depot but to size on my table saw, then some router work on the edges, and then a couple of 1/2" holes drilled for some dowels cut on the band saw.

Used Fiebing's Leather Die for the wood stain (I find it works better than any wood stain), though I think I should not have gone so dark (but brown and black are all I had on hand).

Finished with boiled linseed oil.

I knocked them out in about an hour.

You probably can't see in my crappy pictures, but they are secured to the plaque with a black zip tie. Fits right over the forcing cone.

Steve

UtahHunting

No home is complete without at least one firearm on the wall.

Doc, you are correct. Every home needs at least one wall hanger. Here is my first muzzle loader I purchased in the mid 90's. This is the one that started it all for me and has been retired to my living room.

P2040569_zps4226e492.jpg