Disney fires back on guns at work...

allenomics

I agree with companies like Disney and the Chamber of Commerce (article from "Orlando Sentinel" - below). Can private property rights be ignored? What is your position? The NRA is looking radical by pushing this measure, IMO.
---------------------------------------------
-Disney fires back on guns at work
Scott Powers and Jason Garcia | Sentinel Staff Writers
8:42 PM EDT, July 2, 2008

Walt Disney World employees won't be packing any heat in the company parking lots anytime soon.

The giant resort has declared that much of its sprawling property is exempt from a new state law that allows Floridians with concealed-weapons permits to keep firearms locked in their cars at work.

Disney, which has 60,000 employees and a long-standing policy against allowing guns on its land, cites an arcane -- and late-added -- loophole in the new law, which took effect Tuesday.

The company's position stunned backers of the new law, who said Wednesday that they never intended to exempt Florida's largest single-site employer. "You've got to be kidding me," said state Sen. Durell Peaden, a Panhandle Republican and one of the authors of the bill.

For three years, much of the big-business community in Florida -- including Disney, the Florida Chamber of Commerce and the Florida Retail Federation -- had vigorously opposed legislation intended to ensure that employees could store guns in their vehicles while at work. That opposition was offset by strong support from the National Rifle Association, however, and such a bill finally was approved this spring by the state Legislature.

But Disney now contends that it is largely unaffected by the measure.

In a memo circulated last week and obtained by the Orlando Sentinel, Disney World Vice President of Public Affairs Shannon McAleavey advised other company executives that, with a few exceptions, "this law does not apply to Walt Disney World Co. owned and leased properties." Consequently, Disney "continues to maintain a zero tolerance policy" for guns. If an employee brings one onto Disney World property without authorization, it could be grounds for termination, the memo states.

In an interview Wednesday, McAleavey said it is a matter of "protecting the safety of our cast and our guests."

-Move outrages NRA

The NRA reacted quickly.

The organization issued an alert Wednesday to members under the heading, "Disney Thumbing Nose at the New Florida Gun Law," accusing Disney of being a "prime offender when it comes to firing employees for exercising Second Amendment rights."

Disney cites language within Florida's newly enacted "Preservation and Protection of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Motor Vehicles Act of 2008" that creates an exception for companies whose primary business is to manufacture, use, store or transport explosives regulated under federal law.

"I intended it to exempt places like defense plants, Air Force bases, things like that," said Peaden, who sponsored the bill in the Senate. "But not Disney. Not at all."

But on the same day that the House took its final vote on the gun bill, the exemption for explosives companies was revised so that it also includes "property owned or leased by an employer who has obtained a permit" under federal law for such explosives.

Disney has such a permit, for the extensive fireworks used in its theme parks.

State Rep. Stan Mayfield, a Vero Beach Republican also involved in crafting the final legislation, said lawmakers had agreed to insert that exception at the request of a small group of lawyers representing several businesses and business groups -- including Disney.

But Mayfield said nobody ever intended for the language to spare so much of the Disney resort, which covers about 30,000.acres.

"I don't think anybody that voted for that bill expected Disney to be exempt," Mayfield said.

Disney officials said they have carefully reviewed the language and determined that the law excludes most Disney World property. McAleavey's memo concluded that it exempts "all theme parks, resorts, theme-park and resort parking lots, Cast Member parking lots, administrative offices across the Walt Disney World Resort, Downtown Disney, Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex, hotels on Hotel Plaza Boulevard, Celebration and the Disney Reservation Centers" in Orlando and Tampa.

The language does not exempt Disney Vacation Club's Vero Beach Resort, Disney Cruise Line's crew-member parking lots and a couple of other Disney properties in Florida, according to the memo.

-Law challenged in court

But McAleavey also noted that the Florida Chamber of Commerce and the Florida Retail Federation are challenging the law in court, and Disney would continue to support that effort. A Tampa judge could rule this month, "and we are hopeful it will be overturned," she wrote.

Other theme parks also might hold appropriate explosives permits because of their fireworks programs.

But Universal Orlando is claiming a different exemption: The resort houses a work-study program, the Universal Education Center, that is staffed by Orange County Public Schools.

"We are required to follow school-district policies," spokesman Tom Schroder said. "The Orange County Public School System is exempt from this law. We have so informed our team members."

SeaWorld Orlando takes an entirely different approach: That company supports the rights of its employees or visitors to transport legal firearms in their cars, "and we have for some time," spokeswoman Becca Bides said.

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441. Jason Garcia can be reached at jrgarcia@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5664.

Danzig

Employment should, and by right ought to be, a private contract between employer and employee. As such, if you want to work, abide by the rules that YOU agreed to in your contract. If you don't like the rule..find another employer who will let you keep your guns on their property.

Government has no business butting into private contracts unless coercion is involved.

State Rep. Stan Mayfield, a Vero Beach Republican also involved in crafting the final legislation, said lawmakers had agreed to insert that exception at the request of a small group of lawyers representing several businesses and business groups -- including Disney....

..."I don't think anybody that voted for that bill expected Disney to be exempt," Mayfield said.
Wow, can these people talk out of both sides of their mouths or what???

They admit they added the clause at the "request" (I am sure pressure would be a better word...or maybe "after having palms greased") of Disney and other business owners but then say they never expected it to benefit Disney?

sholling

Employment should, and by right ought to be, a private contract between employer and employee. As such, if you want to work, abide by the rules that YOU agreed to in your contract. If you don't like the rule..find another employer who will let you keep your guns on their property.
While I tend to agree with you... I can only do so if the employer accepts absolute liability for the safety of their employees and customers. Not only on the grounds, but on their way to and from work. In other words if an employee is raped on her way home because Disney required her to leave her pistol at home then they should have absolute and unlimited liability. Actionable by her and her family. The same with customers. After all we aren't talking about carrying in the park, only keeping their weapon in their car.

BTW, I've been in the security center in the west coast Disneyland - don't even break a rule anywhere in the park or the parking lot. The entire place is covered by cameras and monitored by security watching banks of monitors. Disney snaps its fingers and the local PD rolls over or fetches.

Derius_T

sholling wrote:

While I tend to agree with you... I can only do so if the employer accepts absolute liability for the safety of their employees and customers. Not only on the grounds, but on their way to and from work. In other words if an employee is raped on her way home because Disney required her to leave her pistol at home then they should have absolute and unlimited liability. Actionable by her and her family. The same with customers.

That couldn't be more true. And the lawmakers and powers that be need to make these companies comply. Either they let customers and employees protect themselves, or you assume full responsibility for their safety and protection while IN THEIR CARS, on their way to or from your place of business specifically.

But, the problem is, florida lawmakers won't grow the balls necessary to take a company as large as Disney to task, whose revenue and buying power probably match the entire state dollar for dollar.

Kragax

One thing I have yet to understand is how would the employer know what is under the seat of your truck, in the glovebox, where ever? Don't tell them. A car is private property even a LEO needs warrant to search.

divemedic

Disney requires all employees to submit to searches of their vehicles at any time upon request. Since Disney owns all of the land within miles of their theme parks, and also owns all bus and shuttle transportation to and from their property, you have no way of parking off property.

publius42

By the time I got past the "we're a fireworks plant so we're exempt" and the "we're a school so we're exempt" excuses, I was really disgusted to read this:

SeaWorld Orlando takes an entirely different approach:

Good Gawd! What excuse could possibly be next? :eek::barf:

That company supports the rights of its employees or visitors to transport legal firearms in their cars, "and we have for some time," spokeswoman Becca Bides said.

Oh! OK, I'm goin' to SEA WORLD!!! :D I hope I get there between shootouts so I don't get hurt by all the evil guns you hear about up there!

HKuser

They sound like working for thhe gestapo to me.

Remember, at Disney World, everyone is a "cast member" and things such as weight rules are enforced, or used to be. A friend of my wife's was threatened with being fired if she didn't lose thirty pounds. She sold t-shirts in one of their tourist trap shops.

TimRB

So if you have a permit for "explosives", including fireworks, you're exempt. Perfect. This is just another example of legislators writing and passing a law that they themselves do not understand.

Tim

Yellowfin

Ya know the sad thing is sometime before the 60's Disney was pro-firearms. Anyone got ideas as to how the loons can be kicked out?

Technosavant

Oh! OK, I'm goin' to SEA WORLD!!! I hope I get there between shootouts so I don't get hurt by all the evil guns you hear about up there!

Sea World is owned by Anheuser-Busch, who also owns the Busch Gardens parks. A-B is a huge supporter of our rights, having given discounted passes to NRA members in the past. They also told a former MO governor to pack sand when he wanted a campaign handout- they were not pleased with his veto of MO CCW legislation.

divemedic

If Universal is a school as they claim to be, then they are in violation of state law for being a licensed alcohol vendor employing persons under 17 who are still in school.

562.13 Employment of minors or certain other persons by certain vendors prohibited; exceptions.--

(1) Unless otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any vendor licensed under the Beverage Law to employ any person under 18 years of age.

(2) This section shall not apply to:

(a) Professional entertainers 17 years of age who are not in school.

allenomics

This law could kill tourism and adversely impact many service economy-based businesses in the Orlando area if potential customers fear that employees could go "postal."

Disney and Universal are looking for any legal reason to keep guns off property.

I agree that private property right can not be ignored.

divemedic

Where, exactly, is the "private property right" found in the constitution?

Answer: The Takings Clause of the Fifth Amendment, made applicable to the States through the Fourteenth Amendment, provides that private property shall not be taken for public use without just compensation. The Takings Clause does not prohibit the taking of private property, but instead places a condition on the exercise of that power. It is designed not to limit the governmental interference with property rights per se, but rather to secure compensation in the event of otherwise proper interference amounting to a taking.

Hkmp5sd

This law could kill tourism and adversely impact many service economy-based businesses in the Orlando area if potential customers fear that employees could go "postal."

Funny. Twenty years ago, the antis said the exact same thing about Florida's new "Shall Issue" CCW law.

I agree that private property right can not be ignored.

Funny, again. It was ALREADY LEGAL for anyone to store a firearm in their vehicle at Disney, Sea World or any other public access parking lot in the State of Florida. The average citizen suffers no repercussions for having a firearm in their vehicle.

All this law does is equal the playing field and prevent an employer from disciplining an employee for doing something that is perfectly legal.

Since Disney is concerned about their employee's health and can obviously ban employees from smoking while on the clock, do they also have the right to ban tobacco products from their employees vehicles while parked on company property? Can they regulate what bumper stickers you may or may not have on your vehicle?

The inside of a vehicle and its contents are the property of the vehicle owner, not the person owning the property where the vehicle is parked. If drugs are found in a vehicle, the car owner is arrested, not the parking lot owner. The parking lot owner cannot enter the vehicle for any reason without the owner's permission.

Again, it is now and has always been legal to have a firearm in your vehicle in private propery, even Disney's parking lots. They cannot stop you from having it and if they become aware of your gun, the most they can do is request you leave their property. The law only protects the employee while he is taking part in a legal activity that happens to piss off his employer.

shinnery jim

private property is ok by me, you can say what you want on your land. right....well that is fine for my home or your home. I dont sell tickets to come spend the day at my house. I dont make my living off the public. if I do I have to go by state law. just MHO