Discontinued Bench

Jart

Being "home improvement challenged" I find myself wanting to buy a reloading bench.

I understand Dillon used to sell one up till around 3 years ago - does anybody have a picture of this thing that I could use for inspiration? TIA.

If you do a general search of the web, I don't doubt you will come up with lots of plans, but I don't personally see the value of it? You can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy steel workbench legs with instructions for attaching them to a top. I didn't even do that. I made both my benches by building a 2x4 frame put together with deck screws, so I can disassemble them. I did use plywood for the top, to get a stronger anchor for the press mounting screws. I also made it 40" tall, rather than the usual 36", liking the height a little better for operating press handles while standing. One fellow I know has a small shelf added just for powder measures so they are up high enough above the bench to get his loading trays underneath.

Beyond that, you just have the addition of a drawer or two for larger tools. Personally, I just use plastic bins and drawer sets for dies and other small stuff. I put a shelf under my bench that holds a lot of my bullet stock. I used cheap plywood for the top, then used flathead screws to put a tempered masonite top surface on it. That makes a surface you can replace if you beat it up or spill liquids on it. Had I to do it over again today, I would have used whiteboard so I could write temporary notes on it.

calvinike

FWIW- A solid core wood door makes about the best bench top you can find.
I got my last one at Home Depot (3.5' x 7'), marred, for $49.00.

Jart

I've got several local firms stocking the "2X4 Basics" bench, including Cabela's. That's what I'll likely revert to if the Dillon thing doesn't surface and/or isn't a quantum leap ahead. I'm currently using a solid core door section clamped to a workmate.

The Dillon product was interesting in that is was drop shipped and, I gather, didn't need much other than a screwdriver to assemble.

I am both power saw and pick-up truck challenged - a condition I believe may be unique among Texans.