Disassembly of revolvers

Bacchus

Can anyone provide instructions and/or web links for disassembling revolvers? I'm especially interested in taking off the crane and cylinders from the frame to clean them.

Thanks.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
I can't help you with genuine official directions, but can suggest how to remove the crane from a Colt or Smith & Wesson double action revolver.

There's a screw on the right side of the frame in front of the trigger. Find a screw driver the exact size of the slot. If you use too small a screw driver, you'll probably mar the screw head in P.D.Q. order. Turn the screw counter-clockwise with firm, but gentle pressure. The aforesaid "screw" is actually a cap on Colt revolvers, but it works the same.

Tip the gun over to tap out the spring-loaded stop. If it's an old revolver that's been oiled half to death but never cleaned, it may be worth your while to squirt in some gun cleaner and let it set a few minutes if the stop doesn't fall out easily.

Release the cylinder latch and swing out the cylinder. Gently--and I do mean gently!--work the crane and cylinder forward. If you're not gentle, you'll scratch the cylinder against the frame and mar one or both. Better to spend a few extra moments and invest some extra wiggling with your fingers than mar the finish. Smith & Wesson cranes can be removed just by sliding them forward; Colt cranes are attached. Both can be further disassembled, but getting them back together and keeping all the bits and pieces properly assembled can be tricky.

I always remove the cylinder when cleaning a revolver, and put it back as gently and carefully as I removed it. I rarely disassemble a revolver more than that--except, of course, to remove the stocks before cleaning and replace them when I'm done.

Regards,
Standing Wolf

C.R.Sam

What the Wolf said. Cept on Smith n Wesson, there is nothing to take out under the front sideplate screw. Screw out, open cylinder, remove same.

Gently

Sam

James K

Member In Memoriam
Taurus is the same as S&W except be sure not to lose the spring and plunger inside the bottom of the crane.

Jim

Bob G

Procedure for 49 revolvers and 130 variarions are contained in a book "The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly, Part II: Revolvers Revised Edition", By J.B. Wood. (published by DBI Books, Inc.) I got a copy from my local library.

Do a search on the Smith forum under my name if you want instructions on disassembling a Colt Python type action. One of these days though, I'll have to get off my couch and finish the thread with instructions on diassembling the cylinder.