Disassembling Chip McCormick Mags?

LloydXmas250

I just picked up a couple Chip McCormick match-grade mags for my 1911 that I pick up on Saturday. I've disassembled them by depressing the spring and sticking an allen wrench through the holes and then just taking out the follower. But it kind of looks like I should be able to disassemble them through the baseplate. Any way of doing that or is it just through the top? Thanks in advance.

drail

If the base plates are welded on then you have the right procedure. If you really need to get ALL of the crud out hold a rag over the open end and pull out the allen wrench and remove the spring. Reassemble and use a dowel or toothbrush handle to depress the spring enough to reinsert the allen wrench or punch and drop the follower back in and remove the allen wrench. Be sure to replace the spring the same way it came out. If you get it backwards you'll have feed problems. Take care not to bend or flex the feed lips in any way. Normally just cleaning inside the feed lips and cleaning the follower is sufficient. If the baseplates are removeable then take them down that way. There should be a small pin visible that can be depressed and allow the baseplate to slide forward and off.

Last edited:

LloydXmas250

Definitely doesn't have a pin on the bottom so through the top is settled. Only other question: When I reassembled the mag I did everything you mentioned. Dropped the follower back in but the spring didn't settle in the groove in the follower that it was originally in. I had to have some of the spring near the top to ensure I got the spring back in that groove. Is that necessary or can I truly just drop it back in?

ZeSpectre

I put my C McC mags into my (cleaned) vibratory tumbler with enough kerosene to cover them and ran it for about 5 min. Then blew everything out (outside) with compressed air. Then I hosed them with a little breakfree from the spray can and left them to drip-dry.

It worked pretty darned well actually :D

shortwave

Thats a darn good idea Ze.

Thanks! ;)

Have also used Brake Clean on all steel mags. The force of the cleaner coming out of the can will assist in blowing some of the chunks out. No residue left by cleaner either.

Last edited:

g.willikers

The method you describe, pushing the mag spring down and capturing it with a small tool through the mag body holes is the traditional way.
But, for some reason, with the McCormick mags, all that is needed is to just yank the follower out.
No need to depress the spring.
Then just pick the spring out.
When putting it all back, just put the spring in and wiggle the follower back in without need to depress the spring.
Very easy.
McCormick mags are first rate and inexpensive.

RickB

I usually disassemble them through the top, even if it's a removeable-baseplate model. I don't like the dance required to get the spring past the little flanges at the bottom of the tube. I don't bother with compressing the spring, putting a stick through and inspection hole, etc; grab the end of the follower, and pull it out.