Disappointment 10x

DeepEastKilla

Last week Wednesday i went down to the gun shop and looked to see what they had as far as used revolvers go. I spent a while and saw a few good thing but I was looking at the heritage rough riders online and wanted a 4 3/4" model. The next day i called and had them order it for me. through this week ive called a bunch of times checking to see if it was in ( i was pretty excited : ) and they just kept telling me it was ordered but they didnt have it. Well a i called back today(7 business days later) and they now tell me that due to the "melting point laws" in Minnesota they actually COULDNT order it. Im not sure what to think, but im starting to realize that my state isnt as gun friendly as i thought. The gunshop does have a used rough rider, but its 6 inch and im not exactly sure i want that. ANYWAY... just trying to vent here

DeepEastKilla

yes i know heritage makes a steel frame but i just dont see paying that much more when it isnt necessary. I think i may go down there on monday and look a little closer at the 6 incher as im starting to think maybe i would like the sight radius, im just always weary about buying used.

the melting point law has to do with the metal in a firearm melting below a certain regulated temperature, but as far as im concerned its a single action 22lr and i dont need anything more than the pot metal frames they use.

Id like a higher quality gun but i just cant make myself spend $300+ on a single action 22, at least not at this point.

8shot357

Id like a higher quality gun but i just cant make myself spend $300+ on a single action 22, at least not at this point.

Don't be so frugal you Minnesotan, just buy it, and have fun shooting it.

what's the melting point law?
It's a way of banning cheap guns due to the metallurgy:

The Minnesota Legislature has adopted the following definition of a Saturday Night Special:
[H]aving a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock:
(a) of any material having a melting point (liquidus) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, or
(b) of any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, or
(c) of any powdered metal having density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.
I wasn't aware that Minnesota had such a law. The idea is that most "disposable" guns (Jennings, Lorcin, Raven) are made of cheaper alloys. An outright ban on "Saturday Night Specials" might not hold up, so laws like this imply that the guns are being banned because of quality control and product liability concerns.

as far as im concerned its a single action 22lr and i dont need anything more than the pot metal frames they use.
Same here. For its purpose, the Rough Rider is a well put-together gun.

TennJed

Have you looked to see what used Ruger Single Six's are going for in you area. They can be had for under $300 used where I am, espically if you just get the 22lr cylinder. I got 2 within the last 12 months for $225 (stainless) and $269 (blued) both 22lr only. My local shop has one now for $289.

DeepEastKilla

unfortunately my town only has 1 "gun shop" and its a "pawn & gun situation", but they are mainly firearms and less pawn. As far as i know from last time i checked they dont have any used single sixes and if they did i doubt they would let them go for < $250. To be honest i only have about $200-$250 to spend and i like the classic look and versatility of the Rough Rider so this o so useful law keeping me from it doesnt exactly make me chipper.

I must say that this experience has given me a better understanding of the laws though. I live right on the edge of s/e Minnesota and there is a new gander mountain on the Wisconsin side about 15 minutes away that has rough riders, no melting point law, and no permit to purchase required, but what do you know you cant purchase handguns across state lines! I have never felt held back living where i do, but that's definitely changed now. :mad:

tpelle

Just to add a little more info:

I recently bought an EAA Bounty Hunter SA revolver in .22LR/.22WMR. It has an aluminum frame.

In the back of the manual it has the statement:

"The Small Bore Bounty Hunter can not be sold in CA, SC, WI or other states or cities with frame melt point laws."

tulsamal

but what do you know you cant purchase handguns across state lines! I have never felt held back living where i do, but that's definitely changed now.

You do realize that's a Federal law, right? I live in Oklahoma and I can't buy handguns in another state either!

(Well, without going through an FFL, etc.)

Gregg

DeepEastKilla

yes i do realize its a federal law, and that makes it all the more aggravating. if i were to buy it in another state then i get to tack on a transfer fee along with tax and the cost of the gun and i dont even get to take it home until it shows up at the ffl.

mavracer

Not sure as to Mn but most of the time you don't pay sales tax on interstate sales. And spend the extra money on a Ruger your grandkids will thank you.

DeepEastKilla

the way i understood it was that if i were to get in in WI and have it transferred i would have to pay Gander Mountain the cost of the gun and the tax and then have to pay the FFL in MN their $20 transfer fee and possibly shipping, but i havent looked into it completely.

JohnKSa

Administrator
i would have to pay Gander Mountain the cost of the gun and the tax
If Gander Mountain has any retail facilities in your state then they are required to collect sales tax from you on any retail sales even if you buy it from a Gander Mountain store in another state.

Evan Thomas

DeepEastKilla said:
the way i understood it was that if i were to get in in WI and have it transferred i would have to pay Gander Mountain the cost of the gun and the tax and then have to pay the FFL in MN their $20 transfer fee and possibly shipping, but i havent looked into it completely.
According to Federal law, interstate sales, whether in person (rifle/shotgun) or via an FFL, must comply with the laws of the state where the purchaser lives, so if you're talking about buying that pot-metal gun in WI and having it transferred through your dealer in MN, I'm afraid that when you do look into it completely, you're going to find that the gun will still be illegal in MN, and you won't be able to get it.

From the ATF FAQ:

Does the Federal firearms law require licensees to comply with State laws and local published ordinances when selling firearms?

Yes. It is unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver any firearm or ammunition to any person if the person’s purchase or possession would be in violation of any State law or local published ordinance applicable at the place of sale or delivery.
[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(2), 27 CFR 478.99(b)(2)]
Since you'd be taking delivery in MN, the Gander Mountain in WI can't legally sell you such a gun. :(

DeepEastKilla

Glock and most "plastic" guns are made of materials that may deform under heat but will not become liquid. apparently thats how they get past it.

as far as the heritage goes, if they cannot sell it new, then how can they sell a used one and be fine?

jimbob86

(a) of any material having a melting point (liquidus) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, or
(b) of any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, or
(c) of any powdered metal having density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.

So..... no Hi-Points in MN?

Evan Thomas

DeepEastKilla said:
as far as the heritage goes, if they cannot sell it new, then how can they sell a used one and be fine?
It would have been one of the steel-frame ones, presumably... which are legal in MN, according to the company's website.

If you look around, you can probably find a used 4.75" bbl, steel-frame one online that'll fit your budget and be legal in MN... or you can save up a bit more and get the Ruger, which is what I'd do m'self.