Disappointing S&W parts quality

spacecoast

I bought a new rear sight blade with a white outline to replace the blued sight on my Model 17. Alas, what I received is the correct part, but I'm very disappointed with the quality of the white outline. It's off-center and the white is dull and not as visible as it ought to be (lots of gaps). I think I'm going to return it and do without for now, or buy some sight paint and try to do it myself.

Interestingly enough, I bought the exact same part for my 686 back in late '09 and it's much, much better.

DSC01730.jpg

540mope

that is pathetic!!

i have heard nothing but good about S&Ws customer service, it should be an easy fix...but still, how does that cr@p get by QC??

Kreyzhorse

Why not get in touch with S&W? Send them that picture and if your sight is an exception, have them send you a better one.

LordTio3

I think a proper question would be: Where exactly did you get this part from? It doesn't even look factory to me. Not only the offset and lopsided placement but the quality of the paint looks shoddy to me. I'd say someone pulled a switcheroo on you and gave you some Made in China replacement part. I'd be VERY surprised if that rearsight came out of the Smith and Wesson factory like that.

~LT

spacecoast

Where exactly did you get this part from?

I ordered it directly off the S&W web site. It came in the customary plastic pack with blue foam and instruction sheet. I actually ordered two, the other for my Model 14, and it's little if any better. IIRC the kits (which include a screw and the piece that goes at the end of the sight to anchor the screw) were about $11 apiece plus ~$5 shipping.

LordTio3

What did the website say? Did it have a picture of the bad products on it? Maybe an asterisk disclaimer reminiscent of:
Warning, these products are crap. Anticipate Accordingly.?

~LT

18DAI

Disappointing is the first thing I think when the current company calling itself S&W comes to mind. :) Regards 18DAI.