Disappointing 12GA slug loads -advise please.

Big Bunny

I have been loading a standard home-cast (consistent @ 450/445 gn)LEE with 29 gn 800X or SR fold-crimped - as per Lyman Book, out of an unrifled 18" slug(CYL) barrel.

Ease of use, lack of fouling and barrrel fit is A1 - but....

Accuracy is only a 1 foot group at 50Metres with 10 shots yesterday!

Any ideas to tighten this group up a tad anyone?

BB

Don't remember where i saw it but someone else was complaining about the Lee mold you mentioned..i buddy gave me some of the lyman sabot looking slugs he made w/lyman mold and at 25 yards they would shoot ragged one hole groups in my Rem 1100 mod choke barrel...Lyman sells the already cast ones so get some and see if you notice an improvement....Dick

Big Bunny

Thanks Dick.
Slugs are in short supply here and may even be an illegal import now - as the calibre is over the maximum Customs 0.5" calibre.

So I am stuck with the LEE I am afraid!

I may patch the slug [a la BP shooters] inside the wad slightly and reduce the velocity as the hoter loads were worst for accuracy.[But then my flinches were probably also a contributor.]

I did this paper-patching before and hit 6" plates at 50M. Kicked like a mule....but-

Smoke...lead smoke!!:001:

BB

Big Bunny

I have done an 'archive search' on TFL... but no joy on reloading slugs info.

The beauty of the LEE slug is it fits into a 1OZ WAA wad so neatly -without any fillers or cards etc.

It is a real beaut to load and nice to cast too.... all I need is 6" accuracy at 50Metres for 10 shots! Is this too much to ask?

Maybe I will switch to .32 SG Buck load? I like loading those too...really neat how they fit in the cup so well!!

But the slug problem must be sorted and any advice is still welcome.

Rottweiler

Bunny,

If one slug mold wasn't illegal to import then another one should be O.K. to import too. I have the Lyman sabot mold mentioned above and get much better accuracy than you are seeking. If you could find out for sure about the legal issues of importing slugs contact me off list.I'll send you a dozen or so with some load data to try

Rottweiler

Poodleshooter

Just an idea...since these are in plastic wad, perhaps they require rifling? Plastic saboted sabot slugs are built for rifled barrels, so perhaps these Lee slugs need rifling for optimum accuracy?

Dave R

I am not a slug expert by any means, but I think Pshooter nailed it. If you're using a smooth-bore barrel, you need something to impart some spin or your slugs will be completely unstable and will go every which way. Sounds like what's happening.

You need either:

-A mold that will create a slug with rifling
-A wad that has rifling
-A rifled barrel
-A rifled screw-in choke

Any of those should get you the accuracy you're looking for.

the lyman sabot uses a AA wad also--just drop it in and shoot--i was getting ragged one hole groups at 25 yards and was hitting Ram sillouettes at 100 yds more times than not with none of the extras mentioned in previous post...using Rem 1100 with 28" mod choke....Dick

Big Bunny

Thanks for all that. I will consider....but freight on lead is hellish here.I do like Lyman though, but the el cheapo $25 LEE mould has done 100 slugs now and still seems OK.

In the meantime I had substituted a 1 1/8 OZ WAA and have got a reliable 3" group at 25M with 25gn of SR4756 over 8 shots, crimp fold.Shooting unsupported, standing on Anzac Day(Memorial Day)afternoon on a measured distance at a friend's property near town.

This is at last approaching acceptability! [I am informed by BP muzzleloading shooters in our club that 'no rifling is required up to abt 50M'(same as a Tower musket)... so my smoothe bore cylinder 'Riot' shottie appears OK.]

But the 9 pellet '00'(SG) were not ...in a 1 1/4 OZ WAA with Greytex filler. Only 7 pellets on ISSF precision target at 25M .....and NONE on at 50M !!

One of the problems with the initial batch of slugs was, I feel, that on the 1 OZ WAA wadcup there was a strengthing rib on the top of the cup. The other hunting wad has none and is consequently cut up fairly badly by the LEE slug's own diagonal rib and edges. I am adding a 'corflute' wad to help here with the next experimental batch, but I don't expect any great increase in accuracy.

I felt the problem with initial accuracy was with the "wobble" of the slug on the 1OZ WAA wad rib -as regards accuracy when it hit the choke. The other bigger hunting wad fits like a glove and appears to show good promise, [but I will try it at 50m before I crow!]

Will keep you posted, thanks for comments as I feel as if I am not completely alone in this!