Disappointed with Glock 19

HilfigerCelica

After reading reviews of a bunch of guns, I had my heart set on a Glock 19. I held one at a gun store a while back and it felt good in my hand. I only have a Taurus revolver and a Walther P22 to compare so the grip angle didn't bother me. So I went to the range to rent a Glock 19. I really like the gun initially. After about 75 rds, the checkering on the front of the grip started to rub my hand to the point of being uncomfortable to shoot. So would a set of Hogue rubber grips help make the gun comfortable to shoot? Also would a speed loader help make loading the magazines more comfortable? If the Hogue grips don't help, I may look into a Kahr K9, Sig P239, S&W M&P or CZ75 compact .

JohnKSa

Administrator
My advice would be to try to find a gun that fits you without modification before you start trying to think of ways to modify a gun to fit you.

That said, I would think the Hogue slip-on grips would help. Most semi-autos come with a free magazine loading tool that helps with loading. There are also some more complicated tools available that make loading very easy.

Lots of custom shops are now messing with the frame surface. To me they look like they were mutilated by a soldering iron, but looks aren't everything...

Hell, you bought a Glock, so you must not care about looks. This treatment would be perfect for you.:D

DonR101395

I use a piece of bicycle innertube stretched over the grip on my glocks. It's cheap, doesn't add any bulk and gives a better gripping surface with sweaty hands.

plom

Try a CZ PO1, it's about the same size of the Glock 19, it's VERY accurate, VERY reliable and it's hard to find better than the handle of a CZ...

Sturmgewehre

Yeah, that's odd. The "checkering" on the Glocks is so mild it's almost unimaginable that it would actually rub someone's hands raw. I suspect your hands are just not compatible with the gun for some odd reason.

SKM&P9

One of the "complaints" with the M&P vs Glock, is the initial trigger pull and/or grittiness of the M&P. It smoothes out considerably with rds, and I know the Glock fans rave about the drop in replacement triggers for their guns, and lack of for the M&P. Give the M&P some more time in the market, and the replacement /hop-up parts market will be right there with the Glocks. All comes down to personal preference and taste. But try to rent or shoot each before plunking down the $$$.

Officer's Match

Try a CZ PO1, it's about the same size of the Glock 19, it's VERY accurate, VERY reliable and it's hard to find better than the handle of a CZ...

+1

FirstFreedom

If you must get a plastic gun for some reason, why not get one with a nice ergo grip like a Walther 99 or M&P or even a Taurus for that matter? Eliminates that chafing problem from Glocks. Compact Glocks also pinch the pinkie under recoil, between the front inside top lip of the mag's baseplate, and the bottom front edge of the grip/frame. Not enjoyable, unless you're a masochist.

Better still, as mentioned, just get a CZ P01 or 75 Compact PCR and save yourself an intermediate step, since you'll probably eventually want to step up to the best anyway. :)

allenomics

The pistol comes with a magazine speed loader and two mags. After you use for a short while you'll break in the mag springs. Try putting 13 rounds in, then a week later, go to 14 then 15. It took me about 600 rounds to feel comfortable with my G19. Today it's my favorite pistol.

IanS

The checkering doesn't seem to bother me even after 500 rounds with my G17. Even worse try the 20 lpi on a TRP or SA Pro. Checkering on the front strap can be annoying for many after a few hundred rounds but in a defensive scenario they are great with sweaty hands or worse blood. The Hogue slip ons will make them easy to grasp but it does increase bulk and can snag on clothing. Either that or lift weights without gloves. Get in shape and build up those callouses.

HilfigerCelica

Thanks for the replies,guys. I'm going to a different range when I get a chance b/c my usual range only rents Glocks and Rugers. This other range rents out Sigs, HKs, S&W and a few more different brands. Unfortunately, they don't rent out Kahr's,S&W M&P's,and CZ's. The CZ P01 looks like it was built with ergonomics in mind. My only concern is the exposed hammer which can snag and the DA/SA trigger. In a defensive situation, the first shot will probably be in DA so I'm afraid that I'll be off. Am I wrong to think this way? Also how easy are CZ's to field strip? I'm also want to handle a Walther PPS whenever it comes out. Any fans of the Sig P239 or the Kahr P9/K9 out there?

IanS

After owning and shooting various pistols of various makes and price my policy is if its reliable and shoots well its a keeper. Whenever you buy another pistol you're always taking a chance until you get to wring it out yourself, even if its another G19.

The SIG P239 and SIGs in 9mm in general are great pistols. They do have a DA/SA or DAK type trigger so the triggers are different from Glocks. Same with CZ's or Kahrs. Anytime you go to a different pistol you'll always be faced with a different set of issues particular to that pistol. Whether you'll like them or not ultimately depends on how you're willing to put up with their particular characteristics and how dedicated you're willing to be with them.

IM_Lugger

I really like the gun initially. After about 75 rds, the checkering on the front of the grip started to rub my hand to the point of being uncomfortable to shoot. So would a set of Hogue rubber grips help make the gun comfortable to shoot?
the hogue grip will take care of the checkering so it won’t chew up your had that much, but with Glocks’ grip angle I find that most of the recoil gets absorbed by the webbing between the thumb and the index finger. Where with a ‘regular’ grip angle recoil is spread out and absorbed by the whole palm. ;)