Disabling Ruger Mk III mag safety?

AndABeer

So I bring home my new 22/45 last night. I thought I'd broke it during cleaning until I realized it had a stupid, useless, cursed, asinine mag safety.:mad: Might not have bought the pistol if I'd realized it had a mag safety. I don't suppose it is as easy to neutralize as a 3rd Gen Smith?

And please refrain from any cautionary words of legality or liabilty. Thanks,

Stealth01

Easy fix! While you're at it deactivate the LCI, remove the magazine safety and replace with a MK II bushing and add a VQ trigger, hammer and sear! Lots of info here:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=210

You won't believe it's the same gun!!

e1bce23c.jpg

AndyWest

Good lord. Is that compensator functional? I owned that same Mk3 Hunter and thought it was heavy enough.

drail

A friend just bought a Ruger Mk III 22/45 and wants me to remove the mag disconnect feature for him so the mags will drop free. The job looks pretty easy but you will have to replace the Mk II hammer and bushing with a Mk II hammer and bushing or fabricate some shims out of washers to take up the empty space where the mag disconnect lever and spring used to be. Several companies are offering kits to do this. Several smiths have also told me NOT to shim the hammer with washers as it could lead to an unsafe condition. Luckily I have a spare Mk II hammer and bushing in my parts drawer.:rolleyes: My opinion of the Volquartsen kits is that they are really nice parts and will greatly improve the trigger but they're a little overpriced. Doing trigger work on Mk IIs is not hard but if you modify the hammer notch to get rid of all of the creep you can quickly end up with a great trigger and a non functioning safety that will need to be welded up and recut to function. I really wish Ruger had not chosen to include a mag safety and a loaded chamber indicator on these guns. The Mk IIs were just about perfect the way they were. I do love the 1911 style mag release though.

Last edited:

Crunchy Frog

Sam Lam will send you a bushing for ten bucks that will eliminate the mag safety. You can buy a Volquartsen Mark II bushing that will do the same thing but with shipping it was more than Sam's.

I'm probably going to order the Volquartsen tune up kit as well and yes it is a little pricey.

checkmyswag

I believe in leaving them alone.

That being said...I really like Rugers and really dislike the LCI's and mag disconnects.

The brake on the gun is gorgeous!

Stealth01

Good lord. Is that compensator functional? I owned that same Mk3 Hunter and thought it was heavy enough.

Yes it is... that gun is a blast to shoot and accurate enough pop spinners at 50 yards!

AndyWest

Stealth01 now i'm curious :)

How does one fit a compensator (that's not a brake :)) on that gun given the barrel is fully encased? Seems like quite a smithing chore. Obviously you had the front sight removed. It does look great but do you actually notice less flip on that already heavy .22?