Dirty guns

omaha64

I use the same ammo on a Beretta 92fs, Glock19 and a S&W SW9VE. I notice that the Beretta seems to be more dirty (dirtier?) than the other two after each range session. Are some guns inherently dirtier than other because of their design? Or is it just my imagination?

Average Joe

I clean my guns after every range use, no matter if I fire one shot, or 500. I also have a Beretta 92fs among other fine pistols, I have never noticed any difference as to which one was dirtier. I have noticed different ammo can be dirtier, but thats about it.

wide_open

I have noticed that some of mine are more messy than others. I don't know what makes them this way, but I do know that some guns are a heck of a lot harder to clean than others! Especially the Ruger Mark II... I'd almost rather fork out the extra $ in ammo to shoot the G19 to avoid taking that other piece apart. Plus bigger holes are more fun to make.

omegapd

The Glock and Sigma are the easiest to take down of just about any gun out there. It really was an ingenious design with hardly any parts. I don't doubt the Beretta would be dirtier because of the rolling lock mechanism, etc. it has compared to the other two.

EW

Raider2000

Maybe you use more oil on some guns and not as much on others.
My thoughts exactly, because I know that when I oil either of my .45's or my 9mm a litle more than usual I tend to have a bit more of a nasty mess.

omaha64

Now that you mentioned it, oil is probably the cause. The Glock manual does say not to over lube the gun, so I probably was a little less generous with the Glock, and more so when cleaning the Beretta. I'll have to experiment with this at the next cleaning.

Majic

The Beretta does have an open top slide so fouling have easier time getting into the nooks and crannies.

BigJimP

I shoot my own reloads primarily - but there is a difference, if I change powder or primers in my loads, in how dirty my guns are. I think what you are seeing is an ammunition issue. But there are powders that burn cleaner in some calibers than in other calibers (more complete burn, less smoke, etc.) and even though in theory small pistol primers are all alike, I do see a difference if I use Winchester vs CCI vs Remington ......so I have a tendancy to stay with one powder Hodgdon Titegroup in my handguns and CCI primers.