Direct-chamber loading a Beretta?

.357SIG

I was reading the manual on my new 92FS Inox and came across something interesting. It says I can drop a round directly into the chamber and shut the slide on it to fire single shot (in case of a mag failure). I was under the impression that this could chip or break the extractor. Am I correct?

glockjeeper

Military requirement

This was a US military requirement for the then undecided new sidearm. This was, like you said, for the instance of a bad or lost magazine out in the field.

Russell92

this will work with any firearm in a pinch but if you do it enough it will chip or break the extractor. however it's ok to do with a beretta because of the way the extractor is shaped (curved instead of flat). unless you need to i still wouldn't do it much no matter what the manual says.

ea2

That's part of the reason the slide opening is so big, to facilitate direct chamber reloading.

Badger Arms

Chamber loading can be done with any autoloader I'm aware of. I never do it myself. It's just that I've never had the need arise. The drill is rather cumbersome. You have to pull back and lock the slide then delicately drop a round into the chamber being careful that it doesn't go down the magazine well. Then you manipulate the slide release. After the shot is fired, you must then retract the slide manually as there is no slide stop pressure to keep it open without a magazine.