Dillon Precision users?

taylorce1

I'm looking at the 550c or XL750 for a purchase. I like the XL750 for pistol for the 5 stations along with auto index. I think the 550c would be better if I want to load a lot of bottle neck cartridges. Right now I'm mainly looking to speed up my .223 and .300 BLK reloading along with adding 9mm and .45 ACP. Casefeed would be an option down the road with either press, but the 550c case feed doesn't handle rifle cartridges.

I'm just trying to figure out the right machine for my needs.

Lurch37

I have a 550 and load both rifle and pistol with it. It does not have any sort of case feed or bullet feed other than me. I also have a RCBS Rockchucker that I use for smaller batches or experimental loadings.

The 5 station 750 would be nice I guess with auto indexing and the extra station for powder checking or something else you desire, but I do really like my 550.

olduser

I have a 550B. It has been great, but with the shortage of components it has been sitting idle most of the time. If you load in moderate or large quantities the 750 would probably be what you need. I seldom load more than 200 rounds at a time so the 550 suits me fine.

MarkCO

Big Dillon fan, currently with a 650XL. If 223 and 300 blackout were primary concerns, I'd look at this press before a 750.

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/pr...ogressive-press-with-case-feeder/1178469.html

I know a lot of folks who think they are going to shoot a lot and get a 650/750 or even 1050 that just sits. 10K a year is a nominal point where going to the progressive is a thing for most.

I loaded 10K rounds in December and will load another 5K in January.

Most of my bolt action loading is on the Redding T7, and that is just 50 to 200 rounds 20 or so times a year.

lll Otto lll

If you’re not going to use a case feeder, I wouldn’t recommend a Dillon, except for maybe a 550. And be aware that Dillon isn’t committed in selling dies anymore, especially for pistol. Most of their dies are on indefinite backorder.

Nick_C_S

I have a 550 and it's a great machine. Does everything I need a progressive to do. My load style makes it where five stations are superfluous.

taylorce1

MarkCO said:
I loaded 10K rounds in December and will load another 5K in January.

I doubt I'll reload 15K rounds a year across the machine I choose. However, I'm trying to get back heavily into prairie dog shooting. So I'd like to crank out 500-1000 rounds in a couple of hours. I have four cartridges I primarily use for prairie dogs and all have the .223 bolt face plus the .300 BLK.

I've looked at that Frankford Arsenal press. It has good reviews from Ultimate Reloader. The 550c is probably all I need, but it isn't a lot more money to step up to the XL750 that's why I included it.

lll Otto lll said:
If you’re not going to use a case feeder, I wouldn’t recommend a Dillon

Why not? It's not that I wouldn't use or like a case feeder in the future. I'm probably not going to buy one initially.

John D

Had a 550B for 30 years - loads everything I shoot, both pistol and rifle (OK, not .22's!). Changing powder bars is easy and the only attachment I have is a "last primer alarm". Have not had any problems other than "newbie" questions and Dillion service and tech support are great

Taylorce1,

One plus to the two 550s I have (I keep one set up for small and one for large primers) is that they accommodate non-standard rifle loading steps. For example, you have to interrupt standard loading steps after resizing if you need to trim.

One minus to the 550s is they don't have enough stations for a powder cop die for pistol loads (though you can certainly find room for one loading rifle rounds if you are skipping crimping). I recommend using one of the aftermarket illumination kits with it. Inline Fabrication has them, for example.

FrankenMauser

I had a 550b. I should not have sold it. (I was moving and wanted to save some space. :rolleyes:)
I had three powder measures on toolheads. One stayed set up for 9mm. The other two got adjusted for other uses.
Primer alarm was useful. Powder alarm could have been nice, but I never actually ran out before noticing low powder.

I preferred the manual indexing. Kept me in charge and involved.

I did not find the 4 stations to be a limitation. Size/prime - charge/expand - seat - crimp/empty.
If you maintain safe practices and QC, a powder check die is far from necessary.

To me, powder check dies are in the same class as Lee pistol FCDs: Bandaids for bad practices and/or faults that are being ignored elsewhere in the process.
Check dies shouldn't be needed unless using automation.

If I buy another Dillon, it will probably be another 550. The only thing I might change from my previous setup would be a case feeder. I would consider a case feeder, for 9mm in particular.

taylorce1

@Unclenick,

I definitely like the XL750 better on paper. It's really kind a toss up still. I'm even talking with a guy about a used Hornady L-N-L AP. I may go that route if I can get it affordably.

bamaranger

I've had a 550 for a long time and have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. On the occasion or two where I've needed Dillon Customer Service (due to my own ineptness) they have been a good outfit with which to deal.

I have not priced either press in a long time, but seems like there is a pretty big price jump up to the 750. For the volumes I shoot, the 550 was the most cost effective press for me........supplemented by my 40+ yr old Rockchucker.

taylorce1

There is a biger difference between the BL550 $415, and the XL750 $740. Than the RL550c $590 is only $150 less and includes auto prime and auto powder drop the BL550 doesn't. There is about a $45 difference in conversion kits because the casefeed parts are included with the 750. However, everything else costs about the same.

So for roughly $200 more I get an extra station, auto index, and the ability to add a better case feeder later on. Yes, total cost of ownership will be more with the XL750 as I add more cartridge conversions and case feeder. The initial cost to get started just isn't that far apart to make me think I can't find the extra money.

Lurch37

Reasonable price for the Dillions. I have one on my 550 and it works great. It makes a 400 round per hour reloading session easy

That isn't a bad price at all. It cautions against Dillon roller handles, (which I have), and how some won't work. Do you have a Dillon roller handle on yours?

olduser

I recommend the roller handle from Double Alpha Academy. It uses the Dillon rod but adds a fully adjustable roller handle.

Big Wes

Very interesting and reasonably priced I believe. I own a 550b and I probably won't get one since I have a 650 w/ a case feeder but I do like it. Looks like it's a well thought out piece of equipment!