Dillon 650 Primer seating

Jeryray

Currently loading .45 in my Dillon 650. Once in a while I get a primer crushed in sideways.

Any Idea what would cause that?

TIA

BigJimP

The primer is rolling sideways in the feed disc as its seated....it's usually caused by vibration as you operate press.

.it might be an indication you are bottoming out on the down stroke "too firmly" causing the primers in the feed disc to bounce...or maybe your bench top is flexing as you operate the press..- making it bounce... --- .or press is not operating smoothly ( like a case sticking in station one )--- again causing you to use toomuch pressure causing it to bounce...( use case lube even with Carbide dies so press operates significantly smoother ).....

Press should cycle smoothly ...and you should operate handle firmly ....but not slam it .../ if a case sticks in any station, investigate and find a solution .../ if your bench vibrates too much, reinforce it....lay a pencil or something on bench top as you load, if that pencil jumps or rolls around --- you need to smooth things out...

Press should be cleaned and lubed about every 3,000 rds the manual says....that includes removing the primer feed mechanism from press...Turn mechanism over, remove screw...take apart & clean feed disc, feed tube, etc....but it's only a small chance that is contributing to your problems.....but overall cleaning and lube is important...main shafts, indexing pieces, etc

As dumb as it sounds...I have both large and small primer systems...if you left small one in press, while you are loading large primers in .45acp that might cause it too ( I've had it happen a couple of times.../ i suppose it might happen if primers have burrs on edges or are out of spec and they catch as you press them in....

but 90% of the guys I talk to about this issue, are not operating press smoothly ( no case lube is the single biggest issue & I know the books tell you, you don't need to lube if you have Carbide dies ( but try using case lube if you don't and I think you'll be surprised ..)..or press parts aren't clean or lubed)

Do you use case lube now ?
What kind of primers are you using / did you change recently ?
Some brands of cases have issues ... S&B, AMERC , etc / is there any pattern ?
What is a "few"....1 or 2 in 1,000 ....or more ?
Is LP primer system installed & is it tight ...check the 2 bolts...

Last edited:

Road_Clam

Had the same issue with my new 650. I'm guessing you can see a slight misalignment between the primer housing and the she'll plate? If so you need to adjust the index cam. Loosen the 2 Allen head bolts under the she'll plate and rotate the cam just a tiny amount to correctly align the she'll plate slot perfectly with the primer mandrel.

Jeryray

I think I am seeing the problem. Once in 50 rounds I get an upside down shell dropped into the the bar. I have seen the primer problem then.

I MUST keep my eye on the shells, If I see one drop upside down, I will get it corrected and BEFORE my upstroke, check the primer to see if it's correct.

Will test this theory tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips.

Jeryray

Well it's not that big a deal IF you keep your eye on the shells as they feed.
If I get on upside down, I don't seat the primer until I correct the shell and pull the sized de-capped shell and check the primer. Did 400 rounds today using this method, worked, just wish the shells would not be upside down.

Also find I need more pressure to re-size, sprayed the .45 brass with Dillon lube, it did help, not too bad now.

BigJimP

Good, glad to hear it.

I load seated on a barstool...as you cycle the handle you can look at the next case dropping into position - and see if it's upside down & clear it before it's an issue. / and still watch the other stations...especially 3 & 4 ...for powder check & bullet position on the case.../ you kind of get in a rhythum...

To fix the case dropping into feed tube upside down....adjust the "small tab" a little per manual...and you'll get very few upside down cases. ( the tab tips them over and out of teeth in case feeder plate...the trick is to tip them just enough, so the base weight causes them to fall out ...and ones that are upright still feed properly ...).

Happy loading..( and keep using that case lube ). I did 20 boxes of 9mm this morning too..../ no issues, they were 100% thru case gague & boxed up for my inventory...

BigJimP

As you look at the press...get a step stool so you can look down into case feeder.

On the right side, in front, on the case feeder is a metal shield....and at left edge of the shield is a tab about size of your little finger.

If you turn case feeder on...and watch it rotate, that finger brushes against the case as it comes around...bending that tab in - just a little more -- causes an inverted case to tip more and fall out because cases are bottom heavy ......at the same time it won't tip a case out that is right side up.

Don't get overly aggressive ....it just takes a little adjustment .....and standing on a step stool it's easy to see how it works, although I suppose you could hold up a small mirror and see it too, if you don't have a good and safe step stool.

JeepHammer

I was going to say, the case feeder manual told how to adjust, and I get virtually no inverted cases, can't even remember the last inverted case since it was adjusted and I load about 10,000 .45acp & about the same of 9mm a year.

I have a buddy with a LNL that does about half what I do and I can do 10,000 before he gets rolling good, it takes him HOURS to get adjusted and rolling, takes me about 15 minutes to swap calibers & primer size, check powder charge weight and get rolling on the XL650.

My PW driven Super 1050 I just punched out his 9mm for this year while I had the 9mm tool head adjusted, the only reason to stop the 1050 (@ 1,200 RPH) is to refill the powder bin.
It's painful to watch someone struggle along trying to keep a machine that won't stay tuned keep having to stop to adjust this or that every 100 rounds or so, so I took pity on him this winter...

I have another friend that INSISTS on loading .223 by hand on a Rock Chucker...
I'd rather shoot myself in the head with a nail gun than watch him load 1,000 rounds!

I think he's coming around, I let him use the XL650 last year and he's been asking when I'd have time to 'Fool Around' with some reloading lately,
I'm assuming he wants to use my 650 again, which is fine with me...
We should just let the 1050 crank them out in about an hour and be done with it, but he still doesn't trust the 1050 @ 900 RPH...