Dillon 650 brass upside down

Jeryray

I have been getting an upside down brass (9mm) drop every 200 rounds or so.

I am using their case feeder system.

Any comments/Ideas?

Chainsaw.

Its gonna happen. At the bootom of the stroke just pull the case pusher back, reach and flip the case over, proceed as normal.

jmorris

You can fix it, I don't remember the last time mine dropped a case inverted.

Do you have the old collator with the rectangular funnel or the new round one?

Have you been loading other rounds before it began to occur?

How many cases are you dropping into the collator at a time?

ed308

I was having problems with 6.8 a while back. Here's what the manual says:

B. Cases are falling down tube upside down jamming in the top tube, etc.
1. Using the wrong casefeed plate for that caliber.
2. Casefeed baffle (#13688) not in place (see conversion chart for which cal. require use of the casefeed baffle)
3. Casefeed is too full.
4. The machine is not secured to a sturdy
enough bench.

I determined my problem was a lack of lube. I was having to jerk the handle to resize the 6.8 cases. That seem to allow the cases to fall down the tube instead going back around.

And if you're wondering about the mysterious case feed baffle, here's what I found:

THE MYSTERIOUS CASEFEED BAFFLE PART NUMBER 13688

38 Super, 38 Super Comp are the only other catrridges that need this baffle. This baffle is only required on casefeeders that have a recangular opening on the top of the casse feed funnel. Several years ago this funnel was redesigned, and now has a round opening at the top.

Last edited:

Jeryray

This is a 2 week old machine. I have only made 9mm Luger so far, I do have a .38 and a .45 conversions. The shell plate is the small one.

I am sure the casefeeder type is the new one.

I look at each case as it feeds to make sure it is correct and does not get stuck or get crushed.

Once I had one come down with a used .22 case inside. But I caught that.

I don't rush, I need precision not speed.

Only worry is I have no way to be sure a primer has been seated until the round drops into the cart.

ed308

As you use the press more, you get a feel for when a primer doesn't seat based on how the upstroke feels. If little or no pressure, you've got a case where the primer didn't seat for some reason or a loose pocket.

I'm like you when it come to reloading. No rush. I take my time for safety reasons. I tend focus my attention mainly on the powder check rod (and its position when fully engaged), station 1 to make sure the brass slide into position and finally station 2 for primer loading. But the last one for the primer, it's mostly feel.

As you use the press, you get to the point when a problem comes up you'll know what the fix is. Keep the press lubed. That really helps it run smooth.

Here's video that Dillon put out regarding the 650 lubing points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zdWiWsFpMs&index=1&list=PLfr_hl06yMop09dJlGBDqZBb4VfR4mooG

Last edited:

jmorris

This is a 2 week old machine. I have only made 9mm Luger so far, I do have a .38 and a .45 conversions. The shell plate is the small one.

I look at each case as it feeds to make sure it is correct and does not get stuck or get crushed.

Only worry is I have no way to be sure a primer has been seated until the round drops into the cart.

I am assuming they are dropping into the tube already inverted correct?

Have you loaded any other rounds before it started messing up?

How many cases are you putting in the collator at one time?

Any chance you have a video that shows the collator in operation while you are loading you can post? Doesn't need to be very long just a few rounds will do, shot from either side.

Empty the machine of primers and operate the press, it should be very obvious that nothing is happening at the bottom of the stroke with no primers and an empty pocket. When I load I feel each and every primer "going home" when loading with a 650.

Jeryray

I will be checking the case feeder this weekend. I drop about 200 rounds at a time. Only Caliber so far.

I now have the set of 3 plastic sorters so I don't get any 380 brass.

Thanks

AzShooter

Call Dillon. I'm sure they will figure it out while you are on the phone. They have great customer service.

BigJimP

Look at the case feeder manual....( there is a tab at the top of the case feeder that you can bend a little...that causes a case to tip out of the case feeder plate unless its in the right side up ). You need to adjust it a little to get it to work just right...so the upside down case tips out instead of dropping into tube - because the cases are bottom heavy..

But yes, you will get one upside down in the tube once in a while...

As you operate the press...look at the next case to drop into place for station one, you can see if its upside down easily ( just remove it - and toss it up into case feeder ).

A .22 case inside a 9mm case..means you are not inspecting your cases before you drop them in the case feeder...that's your error, not the press. I keep an 8 gallon tube of ( cleaned, inspected and sorted cases by caliber - there is a lot of junk cases out there that you might sweep up --- and you need to sort them out )....and one 8 gallon tub of dirty brass in that same caliber. Don't be in a hurry - inspect the cases carefully before you drop them into the case feeder...

With experience, you can feel when the primer is seated properly...if it doesn't feel right ( pull the case out of station 2 and check it ) -- if its ok, put it back.

Jeryray

Thanks for the input. I re-loaded about 300 rounds today, no problem.
Keeping and eye on the brass as it feeds the de-primer, sizer die.

Getting the feel now. Not loading the case feeder too much.