Dillon 550B questions.

grumpa72

I found a 550B locally and I think I am ready to upgrade from my Lee turret. Do any of you Dillon 550B users have input, comments or regrets? Any other brand users that think I should NOT buy a Dillon? Before I bought my Lee four years ago, I did a lot of internet on loading systems. Looking for input please. I see 550Bs going for around $375 on eBay. Decent price?

What dies it cost to set up for a new caliber?

excelerater

I started with a Classic Lee Turret and went to a 550
and the Lee cant hold a candle to a real press IMO

Lee is a hobby press,something to dabble with and get short spenders
into reloading....It did that for me but looking back I wish I never wasted
the few hundred on it.......IMO you wont regret the move....:D

dmazur

This shows the caliber conversion kit is $46

550b Caliber Conversion Kit

However, this implies your are going to ignore the quick change features of the toolhead and screw in a new set of dies every time you change calibers.

If you want to use the quick change feature, you need this as well

550b Quick Change Assembly

This tends to make things fast, but expensive, at $104 each.

You can just buy additional toolheads and powder dies ($45 for both) and just move the powder measure when you change, preserving the belling adjustment of the powder die as well as all of the other dies in the toolhead.

Here are your options -

• Use single toolhead plus caliber conversion kits $46 per caliber
  • Use deluxe quick change assemblies plus caliber conversion kits, $150 per caliber
  • Use single powder measure, separate toolheads and powder dies plus caliber conversion kits, $91 per caliber

And, regardless of what you do regarding caliber change parts, you still have to have dies (of course).

Kevin Rohrer

This topic has been discussed here and on the other reloading sites. I have never seen anyone write that buying a Dillon was a mistake. I have had one since 1995 and use it more than any of my other presses.

A guy I know who deals in used presses. He almost never gets one to sell, and when he does, it goes for big bucks. They only get sold when the owner dies.

Comparing a Dillon to a Lee is like comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo. A Dillon will almost never go bad, and if they do, Dillon will fix it for free.

They sell the 550 for $440 w/ a conversion kit but w/o dies. Brian Enos may sell them for a bit less. You don't need to use Dillon dies w/ the press; use whatever you have. You DO need one of their powder dies as the powder measure attaches to it.

As for how much it costs to setup the machine for a second caliber, it depends on how much you want to spend. If you want a complete second setup w/ die plate, conversion kit, powder measure, and stand, it will cost $150 w/o dies.

Last edited:

CrustyFN

I have been loading on a classic turret for six years. I bought a Dillon 550 end of last year. I wanted to speed up a couple of calibers and it did that. I still use my classic turret as much as I use the Dillon. If you want to increase the speed over the classic turret quite a bit then you probably want the 650 with case feeder.

grumpa72

I know that there have been numerous internet reports about Dillon, Hornady, Lee, RCBS, and probably others. I appreciate the input from this board - thank you. I am a bit surprised that getting conversion kits and tool heads for each caliber is $150. :eek: Since I reload for three different pistols and three rifles, that can be expensive. Perhaps I will continue to use my Lee for rifle and something else for pistol.

Again, I appreciate the input from all of you.

jepp2

I liked my 550 Dillon so much I bought a second.

The cost estimate of $150 for a caliber change is high and doesn't have to cost that much. It depends on what caliber you are going from and to. I do strongly suggest the tool head. That will save you quite a bit of time for caliber changes. The shell plates fit more than one caliber as do the powder funnels. I always look at the individual pieces - shell plate, powder funnel and brass stops. Many times I don't need anything or only one of the three for a new caliber.

I just don't see the need to have a powder measure dedicated to each tool head. It just doesn't take that much time to change settings. And even if you need to change charge bars (there are 4 possibilities) they are quick to change. The powder measure is the most costly item.

But you do want the powder die on each tool head. So you can always look at the online catalog for the 550 and determine for your calibers exactly what parts you will need. Since it seemed the $150 was giving you some sticker shock, I just wanted to make sure you understand there are options.

Kevin Rohrer

Jepp2 is correct. A second Conversion Kit is $45 and may not be needed. For instance, you can load .308 and 30/06 with a single Kit.

CrustyFN

I agree with jepp2 and Kevin Rohrer. I started with 223 on my 550. When I got my conversion for 45 auto I went with the $150 quick change because of not wanting to change from small powder bar to large powder bar and back. Changing the primer system is no big deal. Now that I have a powder measure with a large bar and one with small bar my future caliber conversions will be the $45 conversions. It really is a great press. I was lucky enough to load on a friends 550 and knew it would meet my needs. I thought about getting the 650 but decided it was a lot more than I needed. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.