Dillon 550 Press, great machine

cbm1948

I just want to tout the merits of the Dillon 550 press. The last couple of evenings I have been loading 45 ACP and things were not going smoothly at first. Simply stated the Dillon press is an engineering wonder. There was a screw under the shell insert plate that had worked loose and was not allowing the primers to seat properly. The press was telling me something was wrong because the stage advance would not progress evenly. The 550 press, and I guess other Dillon products as well, is designed to let you know something is wrong. After some &^*%$ words:mad: and a few twist of the Allen wrench back to loading 150 to 200 rounds an hour. If it is possible to love an inanimate object then I love that press and everything associated with it that Dillon makes. If you have been on the fence about buying one it is an investment that is well worth the money.

Clint

Nowhere Man

I have a Dillon SDB and just broke the 15,000 round mark yesterday. :)

9mm, .38 special and 45ACP. It works very well.

Dave

dmazur

I'm also a 550B fan. (I can't say it's better than other progressive presses, as it is the only one I've used.)

However, I am impressed with the engineering. Most of the design was straight-forward. I loaded several thousand rounds of .45ACP before I had trouble.

I just wasn't aware of how tight the shellplate had to be. The manual says something like "tight and then back it off a little." They mean just a few thousandths!

If the shellplate is loose, the case can "rock" when you're seating primers, and they will be visible crooked. Shellplate tight -- no problems.

I thought the indexing should be smooth, and I believe the trick is a drop of oil on the detent ball, rather than loosen the shellplate bolt. This lets the plate glide, and if you use just a little oil, it doesn't migrate to places where you don't want it.

Shoney

I have a 550.

If a person has loaded for years with a hand squeeze press and move "up" to the crappiest Lee single stage press. His point of view would be similar to those above. However, they are all drivel.

Without the frame of experience, reference from using other "progressive" presses, how in the bleepity bleep bleep does one know their press is so enrapturingly wonderful???????

Nowhere Man

Shoney says,

Without the frame of experience, reference from using other "progressive" presses, how in the bleepity bleep bleep does one know their press is so enrapturingly wonderful???????

Very easily. You get what you pay for.;)

Dave

Shoney

Dave:
Read any copy of Consumer Guide and tell me what % of the most expensive items are rated as the best.

We've been throwing money at the educational facilites for years. Nuf said there.

BigJimP

Lexus does pretty well in consumer reports ratings - just as an example/especially as they get over 5 years old ....and they aren't cheap....so I guess I'm missing your point ...

Glad to hear you're happy with the press. I'm using a 650 and I'm very happy with it as well.

I think Hornady, RCBS, etc also make good presses - but for my money they are not better than Dillon.

M&P40

+1 Dillon press

6 weeks ago I bought a 650 and I don't know how I ever got along with out it. What used to take hours (sometimes multiple evenings) on my good ole Rockchucker now takes 45 min. Very well built!!! :D

ear-ingun

JimP you are a wonderful example of what points shoney made
You gave no comparison of other cars, neither same price or more expensive cars and why your beloved lexus is better..

Which makes shoenys second point cuz you don’t think the most expensive is best.

I sold my Dillon$, cuz ya get $odomized on Dillon$ a$$e$orie$

Get the Horaday LNL AP.
Better, more inovative, better powder and primer systems. My 550 had either upside down or sideways primers 4-5 per K while the LNL is less than 1 per K

goldfacade

My 550 had either upside down or sideways primers 4-5 per K while the LNL is less than 1 per

Upside down primers??? How in the world does that happen? I have a 650 and its impossible for that to happen unless I load the primer tubes wrongly.

BTW I only purchased the Blue over the Red because of the tremendous deal I got on a used one. After 2 months of research and going over my friends LNL I was sold on it. After using the 650 for 2 years I think the difference between red or blue is a wash. If $ are your issues you can get away a little cheaper with the LNL. I don't really get where people say accessories will double the price. Red is cheaper, but Blue has tremendous customer service which adds value.

FYI I only reload pistol on the 650, so run out isnt a concern to me. It might be if you load rifle for bench rest.

Last edited:

alfack

What, UPSIDE DOWN DILLON PRIMERS you say

If it wasnt such a big issue why is it such a prominent category in their help guided?
Look in the
550B Help Guide - Page 1
http://www.dillonhelp.com/rl550enghe.../rl550_pg1.htm

Primer Questions
Crushed, Sideways, Upside Down or Improperly Seated Primers

Ha. Nice try, but just because it is in the troubleshooting area doesn't make it an issue. User error can account for loading upside down primers in ANY system. If you have the primer system set up properly, it is a non-issue.

indiandave

When someone says they like their press why do a bunch of A** holes have to rain on his parade?

He didn't ask whats better, he just stated he was happy with his press. It doesn't mean your press is no good. But your attitude really sucks.

m.p.driver

Have to agree with Indiandave,someone posts a comment and all he get is snotty sarcastic remarks in return.I'm surprised that the mass of refuse comes from senior members.

dmazur

Not trying to defend my comment too vigorously, but I did note

I'm also a 550B fan. (I can't say it's better than other progressive presses, as it is the only one I've used.)

In other words, I think it's an OK product. Perhaps a little fussy to keep adjusted so it runs properly, and I went on to describe one such problem I had.

According to other posts I've read about the 550B, others have had trouble, too.

Quite a bit of the trouble people have is user error.

I've learned a lot over the last few years by reading about other's experiences with shooting and reloading, and I think it is a "good thing" to share this.

Doesn't have to be a color war on every post. :)

Farmland

The 550 sure has a lot of years experience and is still a very popular press. I do prefer my 650 but just about everyone that I have shot with over the years has or started with the 550. It was the first progressive press I ever used.

The 550 will serve you well and is another press worth the money spent, Dillon is one of the strong and well though of companies. I don't know why blue gets under the skin of the others but when it does it is shows their true colors.

Here are some lube tips for the 550.

1.) lube the shaft with 30wt motor oil
2.) lightly grease any pivot points
3.) lightly grease the underside of the underside of the shell bolt where it recesses into the index sprocket.
4.) lightly grease rails & roller on connector body collar

Cleaning tips

1.) use alcohol to clean powder bars and interior of powder measure metal body.
2.) use alcohol to clean interior of powder drop tube and powder funnel.
4.) occasional use alcohol to wipe off primer disc and primer seating punch.

Have fun you have bought a quality reloading press.

Edward429451

...you guys will argue about anything:rolleyes: LOL!!!

(Use the force Luuuke) ...because it either works or it doesn't? It's either user friendly or it isn't? It's either problematic or it isn't? You either consider it a pain in the butt or you like it? I like my 550 so much I bought a 2nd one. Should I have bought a red one to make sure I liked the Dillon better? Surely you jest!:D

I had a problem with the 550 once at ~ the 5000 round mark IIRC. I called dillon and they told me which screw had worked loose.:eek: :D

And the occassional upside down primer thing? Yeah, it happens with the Dillon. Ok even though they put it in there about how it happens...they also put it in there that "you are supposed to watch the primer as the machine is cycling and the primer bar is traveling forward" (did you forget that earingun?) it takes a millisecond longer to (gasp) follow instructions and learn to pay attention and use the machine correctly. Dillon makes that machine so simple that even a monkey could run it (almost!) You guys badmouthing this machine should realize that yes that is a metaphor and you really only have to be 10% smarter than the machine to run it efficiently.;)

If it was REALLY monkeyproof, it wouldn't be as cheap as it is. Yes I said CHEAP and am speaking of value. Let's realize some personal responsibility here and rise up to something above a lawyer mentality. It's called mechanical aptitude folks and there may be a slight learning curve. I'm prolly the dumbest guy on this board (sic) and I can use the darn thing with no complaints! Machines are like that. I will pick up the slack of the machine (!!) and say hey, thanks Mike Dillon for a product that even I CAN RUN!~!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
I am smarter than the machine, I must be a genius!!

BigJimP

get a grip on yourself ear-injun or you're going to spin yourself into a puddle ....

I'll be happy to compare my Lexus - to models costing less and more made by BMW, Mercedez, Land Rover, etc / and my Dillon 650 to Hornady, RCBS, etc - I'll buy another Lexus ( if mine wears out ) - and I'll buy another Dillon 650 ( if mine wears out ) ...