Dillon 550 Locknuts?

jtduncan

I've been used Lee carbide dies on my Dillon 550 for several months now and have installed the Dillon locknuts on the bottom of the toolhead.

I just cracked one of the Dillon locknuts.

Dillon is charging 95 cents for a locknut. Does naybody use plain old nuts from the hardware store on their Dillon toolhead?

The price seems a tad high for a nut!

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG

beemerb

You didn't sent it to Dillon did you?If you had I know they would ship you a new one,in fact just call them and tell them and they will ship you a new one.Call 1-800-762-3845.
They are good people!!!

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain

char923

The lock nut go's on top of the tool head,If they are on the bottom of the tool head your shell plate maybe hitting the lock nuts.

NJW

I just take off the rubber ring from the Lee lock rings and flip them over for use as a lock ring.

NJW in AZ

jtduncan

NJW:

So if I turn them upside down, will they work better since they fit tighter?

PS - Dillon is sending me replacements but the first guy I talked to wanted me to pay for them.

------------------

johnwill

I've called Dillon several times for various reasons, and I've never been asked to pay for a broken part, even when it's due to my stupidity. I'm pretty astonished they'd ask you to pay for a 95 cent part!

NJW

jtduncan,

I turn them upside down because you get the flat surface of the nut (not the other side that has the big groove for the rubber ring) to lock the die with. When you do this it works like a regular lock nut.

NJW in AZ

jtduncan

Thanks - I'll flip those old Lee locknuts!

------------------