Dillon 550 for .30/30

Chipperman

Hi,
Don't reload yet, but was thinking of starting in the next year or so.

I would reload primarily .45 acp, with some .30/30 and possibly some .22 Hornet and .38 S&W.

I had thought that the 550 would be a good reloader for my purposes. However, when I got my Marlin .30/30 last month, the gun shop dude said that, "You should not use a progressive reloader for rifle rounds". He said there was more of a chance for double-charges, and it would be dangerous.

I just nodded and left. Now, I have never reloaded, and just know what I've read here and on the Dillon site. It sounds like hogwash to me, though. So, does he have a point? If the Dillon 550 is not a good press to use for both pistol and rifle rounds, then which press would be better?

Gewehr98

Boy, those dealers will tell you just about anything, now won't they? Yes, he's full of you-know-what. Maybe if you're running light cast-bullet loads on top of a small charge of fast-burning pistol powder, but if it's a plain-vanilla jacketed load behind the typical 150 or 170 grain bullets, the .30-30 just won't have the case capacity to accept a second charge, and will spill powder all over the place when you attempt it in your 550. Then you got another problem to clean up. The 550 does need a good amount of SA (Situational Awareness) because it's not auto-indexing like the XL-650 and RL-1050, but if you aren't paying attention when reloading with a progressive press to begin with, you need not be reloading at all. My RL-550 loads batches of very accurate .30-30 rounds, for both my wife's Savage 340 bolt-action, and my top-eject Winchester Model 94. Piece of cake, don't let the man scare you away from a top-notch piece of equipment like the Dillon...

beemerb

Agree totaly.The guy that told you that is a blooming idiot.The 550B is the best choice for a loader.Love mine.

Chipperman

Thanks for the replies.

I thought he was full of crap, but did not want to call him on it as I do not yet know enough about reloading to be sure of myself in that arena.

I have lots more basic questions but will try the "newbie" search to answer some of them first ;)

Steve Smith

Thanks, Gewehr98, you beat me to that. Yes, Chipperman, that guy is totally wrong. I'd bet that he doesn;t sell Dillon, either, does he? You'll be fine with the Dillon 550B. I have one and I love it. I actually prefer the manual indexing.