shoot 'em, or rebuild?

• shoot 'em

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • tear them down

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xwrench3

ok, i have a situation where i loaded up 250 rounds of 45acp (200 left). i loaded them a little hotter than i like (i wont go into how i ended up with that many, but it had to do with interuptions and kids). they are not dangerous or damaging to the gun, but they are not exactly as nice to shoot as my regular load either. so, what would you do, shoot them, or tear them down and rebuild them?

Tex S

Sounds to me like you are not 100% confident in your loads. The whole interruptions and kids part makes me think pull em'.

Actually, I would definetely pull em'. Not worth the risk dude.

Pulling bullets sucks, but better than the kablooey alternative. I actually ran into a similar problem last week. I had my first squib load in 45 auto. I loaded a lot of 100, but had some LSWC bullets that had a sloppy lube job. That lube clogged up my seating die and started seating bullets deeper than I had thought. I had to pull about 40 bullets, and when I was reassembling them I guess I failed to re-add powder to one. A soon as the squib fired I stopped shooting that lot. Had about 20 rounds left. It just wasn't worth the risk. I was so irritated at myself for making such a foolish mistake, but pulling bullets is not part of my normal loading sequence and I know that is what threw me off. I have also quit using those darn crappy bullets too. I will have to eat about 300 bullets, but that is better than destroying my gun or my face.

For me reloading is repitition, and I will be very careful next time something like crappy bullets distracts me.

Last edited:

D. Manley

I guess it depends on your shooting habits but to most reloaders, 200 is not a lot of rounds frequently running through that many in a single range session. If the loads are indeed safe and within load specs, I'd just burn 'em up and chalk it to to "lesson learned".

Sevens

I agree with Tex, but only to a point. Obviously, you've got some big waving RED FLAGS, when you end up with 250 rounds that aren't what you want, when you don't want to give details, when you mention being interrupted, etc etc etc.

If we get past all the problems there, and in the end you are certain that these are all safe loads, they all have the same charge in them, it's not over max according to your published sources, then yes, I would shoot them. Mostly because I'm frugal and I couldn't possibly toss them, I would be left with the only other option, and that would be to pull them.

It's horrendous work, pulling that many rounds, and I wouldn't want to do it.

Xwrench3

yes, they are safe. i tried a different powder, and went by the book on the load data (although at the upper end). i have already shot 50 of them. i use a little dandy powder measure, so all the loads have the same amount of powder. i usually only shoot 100 rounds at a time, so that is part of it. most of my plinking comes out of a 22. for cost and enjoyment (less cost, less recoil, less wear on the 45, do not have to worry about finding brass, etc.) considerations.

WESHOOT2

I have done the same, but it was 1,000

I shot some more of them yesterday, and they weren't as 'bad' as I remembered......('course, I'm farther away from my last elbow surgery now, too, so THAT might have helped).

I say if the loads are safe, shoot them.
But not all at once, spread them out, into your practice routine.

Sevens

Though I don't have a chrono and I don't work for an ammo company, it seems to me that most factory ammo, even the cheap generic versions of the big guy's ammo (Win White Box, UMC, Blazer Brass, etc) all seems to be running right around max.

If your stuff is at or under max, you should shoot it.

Of course, hammering out 200 pieces (one at a time) with a kinetic puller is a decent way to remind yourself to make QC a top priority!

Mal H

Staff
I'm in the "shoot 'em if you've got 'em" camp. But, that is if and only if you know they are safe. I know I wouldn't want to pull 200 rounds if those rounds are shootable.

Like Sevens implied in post 4, you should examine your reloading process so that won't happen again. Interruptions will always come along, but they should not, in any way, affect your reloading process.

P5 Guy

Take Them Apart

I you got distracted are you sure that the charge is not too much?:eek:
This is a lot of extra work, but so is rebuilding blown out magazines and cracked grips.

Gregory Gauvin

Always good to have a few rounds loaded to the hotter/upper limit to simulate practice for SD, as most of the premium JHP rounds are going to be near max loads and recoil much heavier than your standard plinking round. Double taps and multiple target drills gets harder when the loads get hotter.

And unless you're REALLY bored, I wouldn't pull them.

Dan The Sig Man

IS it my understand about relaoading that you can Break them apart and still reuse the Brass and the Bullet? As long as you disassemble them carefully with proper equipment, you should be able save some Componets?? Just maybe my Misunderstanding of some reading I have done through some reoading material.

I am in the Don't Shoot them if you don't like them.

Sevens

Absolutely you can reuse them.
You will obviously reuse the brass. You don't need to resize it, simply flare the mouth again to load it again, it's still primed. The powder can be reclaimed, as long as you are careful that it hasn't gotten mixed with any other powder. The bullet is typically going to be fine to reuse, but if it's a lead bullet, it may be squashed a little from the seating and crimping. Jacketed bullets are fine to be loaded again.

The proper equipment is typically going to be a kinetic (hammer type) bullet puller. Every reloader needs one of these at his load bench.