Dilemma...need advice.

SundownRider

In my neighborhood, there has been a small series of car break-ins and one home break-in. Since this happened down the street from my house, I decided it would be prudent to relocate a firearm to a more accessible location should something go "bump" in the night.

Ordinarily, I do not have a gun easily accessible because I have two very curious little ones, and the area I live in is relatively uneventful.

I have two choices for home defense. An XD40 Service and a Springfield Mil-spec .45acp.

Here's the dilemma. I have practiced a good deal with the XD, and am comfortable with it. However, I have only reloaded ammo for it right now, with no opportunity to get factory defense rounds.

I recently purchased the .45, but have not put in enough range time to be fully comfortableor confident with it. I can hit what I aim at, but the skill level is not on par with the XD. However, I do have factory defense rounds for it. (Hydra-Shok)

Do I use the gun I am most familiar with, knowing that in the event of a shooting, some lawyer will likely nail me for using reloaded ammo, or do I avoid the ammo issue relying on a gun I haven't spent enough time on the range with?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Silvanus

If your reloaded ammo has hollow point bullets as well, I'd use the XD. If you only reloaded FMJ I would rather take the Springfield. Hollow points are more effective and since you said you have children in your house I would be concerned about the higher penetration of .40 FMJ rounds.

kcshooter

Will the Springfield feed the ammo consistantly and reliably? That would be my main concern. If you don't have feed issues and have proven that on a range, then I'd use the 1911. If it hasn't been proven, use the XD.
Also, can you really get in trouble for reloads? Doesn't that show that your intended use for the weapon was target shooting rather than shooting at a person in defense of your family and yourself?

CraigJS

Untill you can get some factory ammo use the XD. Untill your very comfortable with the other gun use the XD. If your reloads work well in the XD use them at least for now. I don't think that your going to run into trouble defending your home and loved ones with about anything you would use. Your not out "looking" for trouble, it came to you..
Be safe..

SundownRider

Thank you gentlemen.

I appreciate your advice and will go with the XD.

Guess I need to spend more time on the range with the .45 (Oh darn.:D )

tegemu

If it's a home invasion a firearm is just fine and I don't see any problem with reloads but if you intend to use a firearm to shoot a car thief or car burglar, bear in mind that neither you or any other person is at risk for death or serious bodily injury. Shooting someone in the latter circumstance is probably a felony with a lot of prison time attached.