digital scale

sewerman

been looking at digital scales here lately and from the reviews i have read i can't seem to find a scale that is recommended in the price range of my budget of $50.00.

all i want to do is use the scale to weight completed .357/38 spl rounds.

can someone comment on a D.scale that they own in the above price range that is acceptable?

thanks,
sewerman

E.J.W.

sewerman,
I'm not sure you should settle for an "acceptable" scale. You may start out just weighing loaded rounds but at some point you may want to assemble loads usint this scale. A scale is an important tool in the reloading process. It should be the best quality possible for what you are willing to spend.
You are at the same point I was at a year ago. Wanting a digital scale but on a tight budget. I did all kinds of research reading and questioned a lot of fellow reloaders. RCBS Chargemaster came out as the favorite scale. I ended up selling a few of my collectables to gain enough coin to buy myself the Chargemaster scale. I know this scale is above budget but I kind of look at it as "If you have a $10 head, you buy a $10 helmet".
E.

firewrench044

I wasted money on two less expensive scales (inacurate, inconsitant)
and finaly purchased a Dillon D-Terminator, yes it cost a lot more but it
is acurate and consistant (I could have saved time and money and
fustration)

Learn from my mistake, get a good scale, do not waste your money
on a scale you will not be happy with

Dillon D-Terminator-- I am very happy with mine
RCBS Chargemaster-- many many are happy with it
there are a couple of others but thay all cost a lot more than $50.00

James R. Burke

E.J.W. did about the same as I did. My scale is the older one, but I am sure glad I went with it. I know it is way over the budget you want to be in, but like he said it is one of the most important pieces of equipment you will get. I like to buy just once, and not redo it later. Something to think about.

James,

That older D-terminator is reputed to be the better scale, having been built on contract by a company that makes lab scales. Four point load cell with metal beams. Total immunity to where the weight is on the pan. Hard to beat. You'll notice a lot of the scales with plastic load cells require two different check weights to calibrate out non-linearity, but the metal load cells can be calibrated with one weight and will be linear across the range. Someone would have to screw up gluing the strain gauges down for it to be otherwise.

B737drvr,

That scale is not suitable for reloading. It's resolution is just 0.1 grams (not grains). You need a resolution of at least 0.01 grams (0.154 grains) to tell whether a load is accurate?

B737drvr

Thanks for the info Unclenick...the scale said it measured in grains as well, but maybe not grains to the enth. I was actually wondering how much sensitivity was necessary.

McClintock

MTM - Case-Gard

I have one of these scales:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MTM306-1.html

Accurate to .1 grain, and so far, I've used it hundreds of times, it's been a good scale for me. Zeroed it when I first used it, and have checked it every time I've used it since, and have never had to re-zero it.

'Course, up here, it cost more than Cheaper Than Dirt sells it for in the 'States... better for you... :)

Cheers!
McClintock