Diffrence between series 70 and 80, 1911's

Any .45

I pretty sure this has been asked before, but i'll ask again. Whats the diffrence between these 1911 and any other variations of 1911's? I have a SA V10 Ultra Compact 1911A1 is this a series 70 or 80 can someone please explain to me the diffrence. I heard something about the firing pin saftey or something like that. Thanks in advance.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
True Series 70 Colts have a collet-type bushing. The term "Series 70", however, has also come to be used as jargon for 1911's which lack the trigger-actuated firing pin block that arrived on the Series 80 guns. Your V10 has "Series 70"-type lockwork, albeit with a titanium firing pin to allow it to pass California's drop tests.

Any .45

Thanks Tam,
I have a question specifically for you, I read another thread that you mentioned you have a V10 thats customized, you also mention that your V10 was ramped, polished and throated by a compitent smith would you be able to give some info on the smith so i can get this done to mine I just want a basic reliability package, can you help me with this and if there is anything else I should do to this gun. Thanks

Walter

Difference

Any .45,
I am no expert on Colt .45 acp's, but the big rumor around when Colt
switched design fron the Series '70 to the Series '80 was that they screwed
up the trigger-pull.
I have owned a Series '70 since 1972. I had a trigger-job done on it in
1973, making it a crisp 4 lb. pull. It has been that way for the last 30
years.
People I know who have 'Series 80's claim that the extra linkage to the
firing pin block creates a trigger-pull that is undesireable, at best.
I have had people tell me that a trigger-job on a Series 80 was a waist
of time and money, because the trigger was inherently "bad".
Any good rumor, of course, is worth what it cost. But that was the
story going around 'back in the day'.
I have a 'Series 70'. I have never fired a Series 80'. I'm only repeating
what I have heard.

Jump boot

If a gunsmith is worth his salt,he'll be able to work on a series 80 trigger and get it the way you want.I have friends that I shoot bullseye with that have had trigger work done on their series 80's and they are very pleased.