Difficult decision. Opinions?

velocette

Decisions, decisions.
I have a Remington 722 rifle chambered in .222 Rem. In the mid 50's, it was the first (and only) new rifle my dad ever bought.
It shoots fairly well but its stock has been abused when my other family members possessed the rifle for the last 20 years.
So I have decided to re-stock the rifle. It will be used only for target use at less than 250 yards so my idea is to restock it with a target type stock.
Now for about the same money I can get a synthetic / metal replacement target stock that will be an excellent base for a target rifle. Drop the rifle in and tighten the screws and voila, an excellent and UGLY rifle.
Or, I can buy a high quality walnut inletted, unfinished target type stock that with about 6 months worth of work (pillar and epoxy bedded) will be a beautiful rifle. It would shoot as well as the plastic stock but not be as adjustable.
After reading this post, I think my decision is made, but what's your opinion?

osbornk

To me, it would depend on what you are going to do with the gun, how special it is to you, your ability as well as how much time you have and how much challenge you want.

Personally, since I'm retired, I would welcome a winter project to see what I could do and if it looks good, I could brag about it to family and friends forever.

old roper

I'm not fan of wood but I do have 722 still in the factory stock. Be real hard for me to shoot or look at that with anything other than wood stock.

iraiam

I re-stocked a 1948 721, which is the long action version of your rifle. I put it in a like new modern ADL stock that I bought off Ebay. I had to replace the floor plate and trigger guard, I think the internal magazine as well. and of course some fitting of the stock.

T. O'Heir

"...Drop the rifle in and tighten the screws and..." It'll take more than that. However, as mentio0ned, Boyd's is making some nice stuff for reasonable money. A .222 Rem M722 cries out for a Thumbhole Varmint. $129.00. They do require a bit of fitting though.
"...about 6 months worth of work..." Doesn't take anywhere near that long. More like one weekend.