Difficult day at the range - power weight issue

MarkGlazer

Went to the range today and experienced what I think is an under-loaded round but am looking for confirmation.

Here are the specifications of my round using a CZ 82 Makarov pistol;
Tula small pistol primer
Starline brass case
Missouri lead cast bullet, 95 grains
4.75 grains of Silhouette power
OAL - between .980 and .970

I fired 5 rounds that resulted in squibs requiring me to strip the weapon and extract the bullet while on the firing line. When I pulled the trigger each time the powder appeared to sparkle much like fireworks and emitted a strange smell, not the normal cordite odor. I heard what sounded like a muted pop each time. When I stripped the weapon unburned powder was present in the barrel.

If you are familiar with the Makarov you know that there isn't much data published on it. I have both Lee's and Lyman manuals and neither speak to the powder. However, I do have a contact at Ram and the gentleman was kind enough to provide loads to me for three powders that I wanted to use. For Silhouette he advised 4.3 grains as a minimum and 5.2 grains as a maximum load, 95 grain bullet and a maximum OAL of .980.

As a general habit I always load in the middle. I do not think that my issue revolves around case prep. Before switching over to the Silhouette rounds I had successfully fired 100 rounds using Titegroup with no issues. My procedures were/are exactly the same (deprime, size, expand, power load, bullet seating).

I will be making contact with Ram on Monday, but wanted to know if the board agreed that the issue is the powder load and that if I wish to continue using this product I need to stair-step upwards and test more rounds.

PS - I know this is all a logical progression, visa vie figuring out the components and points of failure, but I don't want to do anything stupid in the event someone thinks I have a different issue to content with.

Thank you.

chris in va

I can't find any data for Silhouette and 9x18.

Switch powders and get some CCI primers.

Also, prime some empty cases and fire them with muffs on. If its anything less than a loud bang, I'd suspect a primer issue.

Also, is this a fresh, new container of powder? Sprinkle a 1/4 teaspoon full of powder on a plate you don't mind getting burned. Take it outside somewhere that it won't catch anything on fire and light it with a long lighter. It should flame up very quickly. If not, powder is suspect.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Let me see.

Works with x grains of A powder. Does not work with x grains of B powder.

Either B powder is defective or there is not enough of it.

Solution: Use A powder (at least until it can be determined the problem with B powder).

Jim

MarkGlazer

Thank you guys, you've confirmed.

I should have also mentioned that I used Silhouette in my wife's 9mm without any issues today. Yes, it's fresh power, just received it in late December.

I'll work on stair-stepping the load until I can gain success.

Thank you again.

Unburned grains means pressure too low for complete combustion. Remember, the lighter the bullet the faster a given pressure accelerates it, increasing the rate of expansion. The slower the powder, the harder time it has making gas fast enough to keep up with expansion. Either more powder or getting it lit up faster using a magnum primer may work.

mkl

I think unclenick nailed it (as usual).

Low pressure will leave unburned powder and other "smut" (carbon?) in your barrel.

I had to pull a "tuna can" of 7.62x25 CZ-52 ammo due to bad primers. Decided to develop a plinking load for my single shot 30-30 using the 87 grain bullets and the powder that I recovered from the pulled cartridges. I started out with the powder weight that was in the original cartridges and used Federal 215 primers to help out with ignition in the way over sized case for that powder weight. First loads gave very dirty barrel, plenty of unburned powder and a chronograph velocity of around 1000 fps. Kept moving up in powder weight until barrel showed no unburned powder flakes and no "smut"; just clean. Chrono at that point was around 2100 fps as I recall. Ended up with a fun load, no recoil, and reasonable accuracy at 50 yards.

That was my first "hands on" experience with really low pressure and its affect on smokeless powder. The single shot rifle made it really easy to break open and look down the barrel.