Difficult Choice: Walther P99 9mm or .40S&W?

P99 looks good, and extra sweeter now with the price cut. But do I go with 9mm, or the .40S&W? I had a chance to grip 9mm and it felt excellent. Is there a dimension difference between the two? I dont' have a .40SW so maybe this is my chance.

blades67

There is no dimensional difference between the two, but the 9mm will cost less to shoot overall. Plus, if you're willing to shell out the money, 16 round magazines can be found for the 9mm guns, but the .40 S&W gun are strictly 10 round magazine guns.

branrot

Not really all that tough of a choice. Go 9mm.

The main reason I say this is firepower. While I'll sacrifice 2-3 rounds for the extra power of a .40 (I have a Glock 23 {prefer 13+1 rounds of .40 over 15 +1 of 9mm} and a Sig 229 in .40 {prefer 12+1 rounds of .40 over 13+1 rounds of 9mm}), the 9mm P99 holds 16+1 while the .40 P99 holds 12+1.

It's also cheaper, easier to shoot, etc.

Blades: While I haven't looked into it because my P99 is a .40, I have seen 12 round non-LEO mags available for the .40.

P99

When the P99 first came out, I wanted one sooooo bad, but I waited and waited and finally got a .40. Now I've got 6 of them all in.40. And lovin' every one of them.

P99

Rebeldon

If you plan to do a lot of shooting, the 9mm will be cheaper to shoot. If you plan to use it as a carry gun, as you know, the .40 S&W is regarded as a better stopper.

Did I really add anything you probably didn't already know?

Catbird

I am going to attempt to provide a link to the Park Cities Tactical bulletin board where there is a thread/pics pertaining to this subject:

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000106

I have many guns (primarily Glocks) but I just ordered my first Walther today; a P99 9mm military OD with the traditional DA/SA trigger. I also wanted to order the .40 auto but the dealer didn't have one with the German proof marks right now. I'll keep looking. :)

lunde

The 9mm and .40 Auto Walther P99s are dimensionally different. The .40 Auto versions are 0.12 inches longer in the slide and barrel, and thus stick out beyond the frame slightly (0.12 inches, to be exact). See the photos below (9mm followed by .40 Auto):

walther-p99-9mm-front.jpg

walther-p99-40auto-front.jpg

As for me, I couldn't decide which caliber, so got one of each. :D

JMC

I would go for one of each, that's what I decided on.
Both DA/SA and both the military model. In fact, the two above look very familiar! :eek:

JMC

I would go for one of each, that's what I decided on.
Both DA/SA and both the military model. In fact, the two above look very familiar! :eek:

VonFatman

I own a .40 and wish now I'd gone with a 9mm. No problems with the gun...zero. I just have "evolved" into a 9mm shooter over the more "snappy" .40.
When I begin to re-load, I do not expect it will matter since I will be able to "down-load" to reduce some of the recoil found in most factory loads.
VF