Difficult choice: AK vs. RPK for B-day?

Famas

Hello -

After drooling over the thought of owning an AK for quite some time, my wife has recently announce she will buy one for me for my birthday, so then I can shut up. ;) She told me to go around and see what was available and pick one I liked and let her know about it. I have chosen two which I like very much, but need help/advice on which one would be a better investment, so your help is appreciated.

My choices between a Yugo M-70 underfolder, or a Romanian RPK sidefolder with rail. Yogo has mount for bayonet. RPK does not, but it does have thicker and longer barrel, and a bipod.

Thoughts?

Katophract

I was faced with a similar problem when I bought my AK. At the shop there was an AK and an RPK. I've always wanted an RPK but I was (and still am) poor so I could only get one. Although I liked the RPK a bit more, for my needs I needed something more practical, transportable and can take aftermarket stuff much easier. (though there are some tricked out RPK's) What do you intend this rifle for? Plinking? You'll get better accuracy out of the RPK, thicker barrel, bipod, etc. Self defense, AK is more manuverable. Figure out what you want it for and go from there.

ndking1126

Man, that's tough. Personally, I would pick the RPK if it's main purpose is a range gun. Those things are kinda heavy. The Yugo would be ideal if you have plans to use it walking around, getting in and out of vehicles, hunting, etc.

How strict are the gun rules in France? Do they have magazine capacity limits or anything? Do you need some kind of permit to own firearms? Never really talked to a gun owner from France!

KChen986

I'd buy a regular AK--it's more practical. A standard AK is lighter, more maneuverable, and can be used (if necessary) to hunt. The RPK was designed as a LMG. Since I doubt the RPK is fully automatic, it becomes something more of a novelty, rather than a practical firearm.

My 0.02 cents.

Last edited:

LinuxHack3r

I've seen that video, along with his others. Like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/search/0/zFd3kF6LHz4
Hey, I'm not calling bull on this one, but I find it very astounding to think that a pistol of any kind could be shot that accurately at that distance. I've often wondered if he doesn't fire the round, and then have someone/something to make the gong go "ding" for him. Once again, not call bulling, but just a little skeptical. I'd love to be there when he was filming those videos, just to see what's up. Sorry to be a threadjacker.