Differences in P97 and P90

TwoGuns

Hey guys. I was wondering what the main differences between the Ruger P90 and the P97 were. Are they both about equal on performance?

VictorLouis

The P97 is really the new, and arguably improved, version of the P90. The former has incorporated a sleeker, polymer frame for lighter weight, and smoother trigger action. Its magazines were also improved to hold 8 rounds instead of just 7. The latter has a slightly longer barrel, an alloy frame, and is available with a de-cocker that can act as a safety. The frame also has removable grip panels. IMHO, the P97 is a better choice in 'feel' in the hand.

The P97 is a huge improvement over the P90. The P97 trigger pulls are excellent in SA and good in DA. It is a tackdriver with excellent ergonomics. Recoil on the P97 with standard (NON +P) 200 grain ammo is like a 9mm (very little recoil). The 230 grainers come out as fairly stout, but its controllable. The P97 also has slide serrations that the P90 lacks (thus retracting the slide is also easier on the P97).

The P90 is a reliable workhorse. But, it lacks the refinement and upgrades of the P97. If I were you, I'd get the P97 first.

Will Beararms

Both are great pistols. Like the Glock, a Ruger is mud-ugly and boot-tough. I have owned both the 90 and the 97 and prefer the P97. My P97 is tendering sub-inch groups at 10 is yards which will more than suffice for self-defense.

There are some who swear by the P90. Either way, you will have a great value in a .45ACP.

In developing the P-series pistols, Ruger Engineers have taken to heart complaints about the size of the P89/P90. Subsequent models not only slimmed the gun down, but also reduced the overall number of parts; thereby simplifying the design by making fewer parts perform multiple tasks and making it less costly to produce. The continuing evolution of the P-series has led to the polymer frame guns Ruger offers today (it was tried earlier and I believe was designated inhouse as the P-92, but was never marketed) which carried the simplification further. Best of all, this was done without sacrifice in durability of the firearm.

On the P97, Ruger also uses internal rail slides which mate with the frame. This, Ruger Engineers feel, contributes to the greater accuracy of the P97 over the P90. If you look at the two guns from the muzzle end (empty of course, slide locked back), you'll see them on the P97.

Walt Sherrill

Nobody else mentioned it, but the P-97 has a new and different barrel lockup mechanism, that is an improvement over the P-95 and a great improvement over the P-90. That accounts for part of the improved accuracy attributed to the gun.