Differences in Colt's 1911 Line

socom58

I was taking a look at Colt's 1911 line on their website (some very nice stuff BTW) and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the major differences between the various lines, e.g 1991, XSE, Gold Cup? Also, what are the differences between the series 70 and 80 fire control systems? Thanks. :D

RickB

Colt has what I would describe as three product levels. The "lowest", that is, least expensive, is the 1991A1 line. They appear very much like all Colts did through the 1980s, with little in the way of bells and whistles, but with the Series 80 firing pin block. S80 is a passive "safety" that physically blocks movement of the firing pin until the trigger is pulled. The original M1911 lockwork design (which is now usually, and erroneously referred to as Series 70) relied only on a strong firing pin return spring to prevent a discharge in the event of a muzzle-down drop. The XSEs have more bells and whistles, in the form of Novak-style sights, duckbill grip safeties, additional forward cocking serrations (love 'em or hate 'em), while still incorporating Series 80. Beyond that, are a number of different "custom shop", "limited production", and other models that are in the catalog, but which can't really be lumped together according to features or price. They would include the Gold Cup, Combat Elite, Delta Elite, Special Combat Government Model, Series 70 reproduction, M1911 reproduction, etc. Colt really makes a model or models for just about any use.

Auto426

I'll try to do this quickly since I'm not at home:

The 1991 is Colts basic porduction pistol. Nothing fancy and it uses the Series 80 firing pin block. It was introduced in 1991 as a budget 1911, hence the "1991" name.

The Gold Cup is Colts target pistol. It's got a better quality barrel, target sights, a wide trigger, skelontonized hammer, and Colt's "duckbill" grip safty. It also uses the Series 80 system.

The XSE is Colt's interpritation of a more modern style 1911. Front cocking serrations, Novak style sights, etc. It also uses the Series 80 system.

The New Series 70 guns are reproductions of Colt's orginal Series 70 line, made from 1970 to 1983. They feature the Series 70 firing system, and have a GI like setup.

Colt aslo makes the Combat Elite, which is basically an XSE, expect it's got a two tone finish. It also uses the Series 80 system.

Then you have the Special Combat Government, Colt's high end competion gun, with a hardcrome finish and extended magwell. They have both Series 80 and Series 70 systems.

The difference Series 80 and 70 is that Series 80 incorporates a firing pin block. I believe it uses 3 extra levers in the lockwork that work together to block the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.

Brian48

I will add that although the 1991 concept was originally intended to be Colt's "value" line when it first came out, it is anything but that any more. The NRM 1991s have taken over the position of the regular 1911s now in Colt's product line. These are some superb guns and I will contend that except for the plastic MSH common with all Colts and the rubber grips on the SS models, the '91s are fairly fancy in their own right. I absolutely love mine.

FYI, not sure if it's normal for a 1991s, but my SS version (2005 build) came with the same National Match barrel that came with my Gold cup. Shoots like the GC too.

socom58

Thanks for the rundown guys. :) I'm eyeing either the XSE or the Gold Cup for the inevitable 1911 acquisition somewhere down the road.