differences between ak47/akm/ak74

cannonfire

From what I understand, the difference between an ak47 and an akm is that the akm was created with a stamped body instead of milled for manufacturing reasons and an ak74 is chambered in 5.45.

My question: Were there any changes to each "updated" weapon as far as the operating system or features added to each rifle or were they just the changes that I mentioned?

chack

The AKM74 also has a different gas port angle. It is 90 degrees instead of 45 degrees. the AK 47 has a slightly longer ejector too.

The differences necessary for the stamped vs milled receivers are pretty extensive including different fire control parts, front and rear trunnions, and pistol grips.

Also, the very first AK 47 design was made as a stamped receiver gun and it was production difficulties that forced the Russians to redesign it as a milled receiver gun.

The redesign included a rate reducer for cyclic fire. The first milled receiver design used a threaded barrel like the Russian SKS. Eventually they simplified the design to use a pinned barrel like a commercial Chinese SKS, and they retained that method of barrel attachment. After they worked out the technology and logistics they made a new stamped version which was named the AKM 47 to differentiate it from the first stamped AK 47 design.

halfcocked

There are also a few minor differences also...

AK47 used a different bayonet without use of a bayonet lug (as the AKM and AK74)

Gas vents where the gas tube meets the block are a little different.

AK47 has a wider front site base than the others.

AKM had palm swells in the lower forend.

AK74 had cuts in the stock to reduce weight. (early prototype bbls were AKM only bored to 5.45 so were actually heavier and put them over the weight limit)

Stocks attached differently...AK had upper and lower tang sticking out of the receiver to attach and only a little nub of wood extends into the receiver.
AKM and AK74 have a single tang on top and the wood extends farther into the receiver.

Yung.gunr

Which one do you prefer?

So if money and availability were no issue which one would you get and why?

I also had many of the same questions as I am looking to get one but I know VERY little about them. Please explain as if I were a complete gun noob, as I am in this specific area.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as I put much trust and value into your opinions.

Not to hijack your thread OP, just have some more questions about this exact subject. :D

Dfariswheel

The AK-74 is the same design as the AKM-47 stamped receiver rifle, only modified slightly to lighten it as much as possible. Mechanically they're the same.

The basic decision is: 7.62x39 or 5.45x39. Each has advantages.

The 7.62 is currently more available in more bullet types. You can buy new Russian made commercial ammo or American made commercial ammo including sporting ammo with soft point hunting bullets.
The 7.62 is better for hunting larger game, being about equivalent to the old .30-30 Winchester.
The 7.62 is a shorter range round, with more recoil.
A loaded rifle will be heavier.
All the commercial ammo is non-corrosive.
Military surplus is corrosive primed, and is getting hard to find.

The 5.45 has some Russian made sporting ammo, and Hornady?? is selling an American hunting bullet loaded in a Russian steel case.
It's available in military surplus corrosive ammo at CHEAP prices. A 1080 round sealed steel can sells for less then $150. which is the cheapest surplus ammo around. Buy plenty of it and you can have a lifetime supply.
The 5.45 is very effective as a small game and varmint round and is effective on smaller deer.
It's VERY effective as a defense round due to the infamous tumbling bullet.
A loaded rifle is lighter.
It's a flatter shooting, more accurate, longer range load than the 7.62 and has extremely low recoil.

The top of the line in either caliber is the Arsenal conversions of the Russian Saiga rifle. These conversion are as close to a Russian full-auto AK as we'll ever see.
The Arsenal SGL series is available in 7.62 and 5.45. Price is usually above $800?? but it's the Cadillac of current AK's.
These rifles have hard chrome lined barrels and chamber.

All you have to do with corrosive ammo is to use water or something that contains waster to flush out the corrosive salts residue, then clean the rifle as normal with bore solvent, etc.