Difference in Ammo

Mastrogiacomo

Can someone tell me the difference in ammo for a handgun? I'm confused when I look at the range bullets. They're capable of killing more than a small animal, correct? Could the range bullets also be used in self defense effectively? Appreciate any insight.:confused:

Not really sure exactly what you mean by "range" ammo...

Do you mean ammo that is loaded for target practice at the range, or do you mean ammo you can buy at the range?

Most shooting ranges will carry a variety of ammo types. Just about any ammo can be used for personal protection, but some are better for the purpose than others.

If you can elaborate on your question a little more, I'm sure we can better answer it.

Mastrogiacomo

Well, by range bullets I mean what is allowed at the target range when I go use my Beretta. I clearly can't use my Federal ammo for that, so I use Winchester bulk package 9mm. They always say you can use this not only at the range, but also hunting small animals. Still, a bullet is a bullet. However, gun ranges would never allow you to load your gun with Federal bullets...

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
I am still not sure just what you mean by "range bullets" but some ranges dis-allow some rounds as being to powerful, or too loud, too much penetration etc.

Like Mike says any will work for personal protection but take for instance a FMJ will not have the knockdown power that a JHP will have and vice versa the JHP will not have the penetration that a FMJ will. When it comes to defensive use it all depends on where the BG is.............is he out in the open? Is he in a vehicle? Is he behind some type of cover? In an optimum situitation one would load the type of ammo best suited for use.............in the real world that is a joke. The best defensive ammo (or firearm) is what you have in your hand. If he is in a place where your round cannot penetrate, haul a** and do the same until a shot presents itself.

This is one reason where when possible I prefer a rifle (and I don't mean a Mattel toy) for serious work!

A good ammo load in that rifle would be either ball AP ball AP ball AP, or straight AP, in a cal .30 or 7.62 X 51.

Of course in an urban scene it is hard to pack an M1 or an M1A (M14), because of its size. Actually the ammo that I just mentioned would work fine for the penetration ability. If he gets behind a wall just shoot through it..............of course that could endanger innocents behind the wall also.

OK, it sounds like your range may not allow hollow point bullets to be used. Some ranges don't, for some reason.

The Winchester white box is FMJ ammo.

Hollowpoints are designed to expand upon hitting flesh, cutting a larger wound than would a bullet that doesn't expand, such as the full metal jacket Winchester ammo that your range makes you use.

When being used for personal protection, you have to balance expansion against penetration. Ideally, you want a combination of both -- deep expansion (at least 12", is my way of thinking) coupled with good penetration.

If, however, you are forced to pick, my belief is that you should ALWAYS pick penetration to get to vital organs. A bullet that expands, but doesn't penetrate to vital organs, essentially causes nothing more than a bad flesh wound.

Mastrogiacomo

I always thought both times of ammo, the FMJ Winchester range bullets and Federal hollow point, were just as deadly. I wouldn't want to be hit with either! I have a lot of bullets for the range, and just one each of the hollow point (one for the model 442 S&W and the other for the Berettas). Quick question, I'll use all the range ammo, but what of the hollow point? If I don't get an armed security job or ever need to use the hollow point for personal safety -- can they be kept for years? Will I be able to keep them in the magazine when I carry my gun and just take them out and put them back other times? I don't know how long they can be kept around. In all likelihood, I may never fire the hollow points, God willing. Do bullets have an "expiration date" quality and age wise? :)

Most people advise replacing the ammo you use to defend your life every 6 to 12 months.

I rotate mine about every year, myself.

Ammo can last a VERY long time, as long as it's stored correctly and kept away from oil or moisture.

Since in a gun the ammo can regularly be exposed to oil or moisture, I advise replacing your ammo regularly.

Mastrogiacomo

Found it!

Finally got off my lazy behind and wrote this down. The personal defense ammo is Federal Premium. .28 Special 110 grain and the 9 Luger is 135 grain. A big jump in grain which I hope won't take my damn hand off with the recoil. Does it come less than 135 for the 9 mm? Maybe I wasn't looking closely enough...

The Winchester is 130 grain FMJ for the .38, which I want to look for in a lighter grain the second time around because the gun kills my hands firing it. The ammo grain probably doesn't help matters. Last night I picked up Winchester Target/Range 100 Value Pack at Walmart. It's 115 grain (probably what I need to find for the .38) However, the other ammo I have yet to use for the Beretta is a German made product - an incrediably high 124 grain:eek: :eek: from Geco Dynamit Nobel - I think the name is. Incidently, when you say "replace the ammo" -- how so? Use it up? How would I do that with the hollow points? They won't let me use this at the range, so what can I do with it? Thanks again Mike. :)

blades67

The personal defense ammo is Federal Premium. .28 Special 110 grain and the 9 Luger is 135 grain. A big jump in grain which I hope won't take my damn hand off with the recoil.

First, I'm sure you meant .38 Special. Second the 10 grain difference is not a big jump and the recoil from the 135 grain Personnal Protection ammo will probably be less than the 110 grain .38 Special loads.

Incidently, when you say "replace the ammo" -- how so? Use it up? How would I do that with the hollow points? They won't let me use this at the range, so what can I do with it?

You don't have to use it up, but not using it is a waste unless you sell it. If the range you're going to won't let you use hollow points, either try another range or find a safe outdoor shooting area to shoot.

Best thing to do is find another range, one that will allow you to use hollow point ammo.

Don't worry, the recoil isn't going to take your wrist off.

tex_n_cal

Mastrogiacomo, As I recall that you've added a a 9mm or .357 to your battery, any new questions?

In the autoloaders, ammo that is kept for defense should be tested for at least 200 rounds - if there's any problems with reliability, get something else. In a revolver, a couple cylinders full will probably be enough.

If you can't find a place to shoot hollowpoint ammo, then I would look for flat pointed FMJ ammo, which is more effective than round nosed slugs.