Difference between Models 7 & 700?

rugerfreak

Let's see---All Model 7's are short actions----the older ones had 18 1/2in barrels.

New innovations for the Model 7---within the last 5 years or so---maybe sooner---maybe later.

1. 4 scope mount screw holes instead of 3
2. Stainless steel
3. Composite and laminated stocks
4. 20in barrels

All the older ones were blued---wood---3 screw holes.

They will accept Model 700 aftermarket triggers with a little modification.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

VictorLouis

So, are there any concerns with strength?

Is there any less steel in the famed "three rings of steel"?:) Or, is it just fine in the calibers it is chambered for? Why no southpaw versions? Do folks just want bigger and heavier to soak up the wallop?:D

Legionnaire

I have no concern with strength! I've been hunting with a Model 7 in .308 for years. Never really sat down to compare my 7 with my 700s. Now I have something to do this weekend! :D

Kidding aside, you can get a 700 in either a long or a short action. But the Model 7 is designed around the short action, with the result that you get a nice, compact hunting rifle, great for think cover and humping hills.

VictorLouis

nice, compact hunting rifle
Yes, that's why it looks pretty attractive to me. Problem is, I'm left-eye domninant, and I don't want to work around a standard righty action, though it certainly can be done. I think the Varmint Special 700 is the only LH short-action they make, but it's certainly more of benchrest package in weight and bulk.

Pappy John

Do you shoot left handed rifle actions? I ask because I'm left eye dominant also, but right handed. I use left eye to shoot handguns, but right eye (left eye closed) to shoot rifle. Just curious what other people do.

VictorLouis

Unfortunately, the right eye is much weaker. I have to shoot LH with long arms and bows. My CCW instructor is in the same boat, and I've run into and read about others. Scatterguns and auto rifles are not a problem, but fanangling a RH bolt gun is rather awkward.