difference between .357 magnum and .38 special

tj_mlnr

Sorry for my ignorance but I'm really curious: What is the difference between the .357 magum - and the .38 special cartridge? I recently started shooting both types, and noticed that there does not appear to be a lot of differences between them, when looking at the cartridges. The magnum cartridge is (only) slightly longer but that's about it...UNTIL you fire it! Is it just a difference in powder charge or is there more to it?

.45 Vet

To put it simply, about an 1/8" of an inch in case length. The .357 is loaded to a much higher pressure level. As you already stated you noticed the difference when you fired them.

gb_in_ga

Well, it is true that the rounds do look very similar from external appearances. Yes, the .357 Mag is somewhat longer, and that was done on purpose. In reality, the real difference is the great difference in internal pressures of the rounds. .357 Magnum operates at about twice the internal pressure than standard pressure .38 Special does. It turns out that most of the case capacity is empty with .38 specials, as the round was actually developed over a century ago as a black powder round. .357 Magnum was developed somewhat later as an extra "hot" .38 special, the case was lengthened so that the extra pressure rounds would not chamber (thus would not destroy) the existing .38 special handguns of the day, handguns which were not designed to handle those much higher pressures.