diff marlin 30-30's. id help please

dieselbeef

someplace to run the serial numbers.
one is made in 75 -75 i think. has a stock with no pistol grip/gold trigger/sq lever/diff forearm stock/diff bands/no cross safety/no checkering

other is made in 2010...as version?/round style lever/pistol grip stock/checkered stocks/longer forearm stock

maybe the gold trigger one is a cowboy model? or something

having 2 now id like to know the diff and how they came to be so diff...

both in 30-30...both awesome shooters.

probly cant post any pics on here..i cant even figure out how to get email notifs to subscribed threds
thanks
gary

jmr40

Subtract the 1st 2 digits of the SN from 100 and that is the DOM for "Most" Marlins made after 1972. For rifles made prior to that use this website.

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

Some limited editions will use a different date code and neither system will work on those models.

The first sounds like a 336T, or Texan. They didn't include the "T" in the model number for every year, but if it has a straight grip and 18.5" or 20" barrel it is a Texan. They only made the 18.5" barrel 1 year, most will be 20". They made a few back in the 50's and 60's with a 16.25" barrel and rounded lever known as the Maurader. During 1988-89 they made about 2,700 just like the Maurader, but they had squared levers and safeties. These were known as 336LTS models and are an example that will not fit either code.

Need more details on the 2nd one. How long is the barrel? If it is 20" with a full length mag tube it is probably a 336C. If it is longer with a full mag tube it does sound like a Cowboy version. They also made/make some versions with a 24" barrel and 1/2 mag tube.

jmr40

I had a minor household emegency and had to log off before I really fnished. Just to add, The Texans are my favorite leverguns. They combine the best features of the Marlin's and Winchester's. Marlin has changed their stocks several times over the years and the 70's era guns have the trimmest, best looking stock design in my opinion as well. I've got 6 of the Texans from the 70's. All of mine have the 20" barrels. Would love to find one with 18.5" barrel. I've seen a few, but never at a price I'd pay, or when I wasn't short of funds. This is the closest I've found. One of the limited runs in 35 Rem from 2005. Not my gun, but one just like it I found on gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=280190709#PIC

Keg

JMR...I have a saddle ring Texan from 70' and my SIL has a Texan from 78'...

Attachments

• tank 201.jpg
    tank 201.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 31
  • tank 202.jpg
    tank 202.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

dieselbeef

thanks im gonna get some more info off em and post up..maybe i can get some pics...

i think the first one is from 1975..but its now like any ive seen with the sq lever and gold trigger..the straight stock ive sen but the combo of parts seems unique

th second is an AS model?? made in 2010 i think

Keg

dieselbeef...The round levers were made in early 70's....Square levers were used later..also in the 70's....My SIL's gun was from 78' with the square lever....I figure yours is like his....

jmr40

Marlin has re-used some of their model numbers. Years ago a 336A was their rifle version with a 22" or in some cases a 24" barrel and 1/2 mag tube.

That version has long been discontinued and they are now using 336A to identify their budget gun with a cheap birch stock with less polished metal. If the AS has a 22-24" barrel and walnut stock it is older than 2010. If it has a 20" barrel with a checkered birch stock and full length mag tube it is one of the budget guns. Finding the date it was made should be pretty simple using the link I provided earlier.

Don't let the gold trigger confuse you. Some think if it has a gold plated trigger it is rare, and somehow more valuable. Over the years Marlin has gone back and forth on the gold trigger. Some years every gun came with a gold trigger, some years none did. Even the cheapest budget guns came with gold triggers the years they used them. The most expensive guns did not have them the years they did not use them.

Jack O'Conner

Glenfield was the economy line of Marlin for many years. Stocks were often birch or beech. They were typically sold through large distributors to stores such as Montgomery Ward, Western Auto, and others. This is my older Glenfield "texan".

Jack

Glenfield30GT.jpg

dieselbeef

thats what my 76 yr model looks like..thanks so much...thats it almost exactly with the scope. no checkering on mine tho..and the wood is darker. with the gold trigger. but the stocks are the same otherwiase. and the band on the barrel.

so is there any extra worth to it over the basic 336. idc really cuz ill pass it to my 5 yr old ..just wondering.

gary