Die Surface Rust

Nathan

I have a die with light surface rust all over it....Any body try soaking something like is in CLR and water?

Other ideas with a common chemical I might have or maybe ACE Hardware for under $10?

I’m thinking...Apply, wait, rinse, spray with protectant.

m&p45acp10+1

I just soak them with CLP, and then wipe it off. If there is some still there I repeat the process until it works. Never had it take more than 3 times with light surface rust.

Old_School

I've used Evaporust with great success. Won't hurt the dies. Just submerge it overnight in the solution and the next morning, rust will be gone. You can buy at O'Reillys or Northern Tool. If it hasn't turned black, you can filter it and pour it back in the bottle to use again.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Reloadron

CLP, WD40 and any other light machine oils. Then a brush with stiff bristles has always worked for me. Even a brush in a 3/8 inch vari-speed drill makes it easier.

Ron

MarkCO

Only had one I could not get back in shape as it had pitting. Got a partial refund from the seller and replaced the sizing die to go along with the seating and expander dies.

I put them in the Ultrasonic with Lucas Bore Solvent & US Cleaner. Worked great on the two that were not pitted.

Gunzilla also removes it. But if the rust is truly light and the surface is dry and grease-free, boiling in water will convert the red rust to black magnetite and then most of it will brush off, same as when rust bluing.

Shadow9mm

I would just wipe it down with oil.... then leave it lightly oiled and keep it stored in a plastic ammo can with a silica gel pack going forwards.

DavidAGO

citric acid crystals mixed with water. for dies
i only soak a couple of hours. rusty tools get overnight. leave it too long and they will turn black but it can be easily polished out

gwpercle

Old rust removing soaking agent ... Kerosene , Marvel Mystery Oil , Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone 50-50 mix = super penetrating oil , soak in a covered container .
WD40 will work , any commerical penetrating oil .
The secrete is a long soak so the penetrant can get under the rust ...then use 0000 steel wool to polish all the surfaces , inside and out .
Saved many a die with super penetrating oil or kerosine soak and 0000 steel wool .
I avoid water...water causes rust ...just say no !
Gary

jrothWA

Bought a set of 4570 dies, that were rusty from an antique shop.

Filled a steel baking pan with turpentine and diassemble each die {3x} and soaked over-night, then hand brushed with a BRASS bistle brush annd followed by a fine steel wire brush and everything was CLEANED.

Good investment for $20.