Did you guys see the sporterized Mosin Nagant?

Dezynco

Did any of you notice in this week's "Shotgun News" the completely sporterized Mosin Nagant? I know some of you cringe at the thought of altering from the original, or spending much money on them....but....

that's a damn fine rifle by anyone's standards! Take a look if you can!;)

Rembrandt

Came out very nice, very well done.

Lot of time, money, and work to pass a **** off as a sporter.....but who am I to talk, sank over $1500 in a 10/22.:p

Dezynco

A lot of Mausers started out as ****s too! I'm not saying that I'm planning to run to the 'smith with my Mosin Nagant, but it's a thought!:D

Curtis(USAF)

I don't see nothing wrong with replacing a few parts, as long as you put the originals back somewhere safe where you can bring the rifle back to original if you decide to sell or trade or show it off.

I've been pondering getting a composite stock for my Mosin to save my original stock from abuse.

Sidetracked

I don't see nothing wrong with replacing a few parts, as long as you put the originals back somewhere safe where you can bring the rifle back to original if you decide to sell or trade or show it off.

Prepare to puke. :barf:

My numbers-matching Russian, Tula Armory SKS had a beautiful piece of wood when I bought it. But... I was tired of bleeding the cosmoline out of it, and getting spit at when the barrel warmed up. I slapped that puppy in a Fiberforce stock, and, at some point in time, the original was used for firewood by my father. (Along with his Norinco stock. oops)

My Yugo 24/47 Mauser also had quite a nice piece of wood on it, although, not matching. The 24/47 was the base for my .35 Whelen.... So, I cut the last 7" of stock off, carved checkering with a hobby knife, and used a dremel tool to free float the barrel. :eek: She'll wear the bubba'd stock until the action, barrel, and sight work are finished. After that.... firewood.

I don't think I would ever consider sporterizing any of our M44s, but that's because I love beating them up without worrying about damage.

Dezynco

I know, I know! I have two MN's that I'm planning to keep as they are. It would be a shame to mess them up since all the serial numbers match, etc.

But you guys should pick up a copy of Shotgun News and look at the pictures! The guy made a really beautiful purse out of an old sow's ear! It's a nice piece!

Maybe if I ever run across a Mosin Nagant that already has some of it's original parts missing.......:D

Tikirocker

I'm with Darren007 and I'll raise him a :barf:

I have no issue with people who like sportered rifles but just buy a Sporter rifle if that's what you want. What I don't get is why people want to turn a Tractor into a Ferrari ... what's the point? For all the effort people go to to obtain parts and the added expense the whole deal is a false economy and butchery of an original rifle.

Want a sporter buy a sporter ... if it ain't broke ...:rolleyes:

Dezynco

Customizing a rifle is like putting custom wheels and paint on a car. It makes it personal, unique.

If you haven't seen the article, I'll describe the finished rifle to you. The author (Reid Coffield) I assume is a gunsmith. He polished all of the metal work to remove tool marks, draw filed the barrel then polished it. He re-worked or rather, customized the magazine to be flush with the bottom of the stock and added a nice custom trigger guard. The bolt handle was relocated further back and replace with a pretty "butterknife" handle, and machined the reciever with a notch for the handle to close. All of that was inletted into a pretty walnut stock, then hand-checkered.

He didn't just buy a bunch of drop-in parts, he completely reworked the rifle, even though he really didn't make a lot of modifications to it. At first glance, I thought it was a TC Icon, had to do a double take to see the old Mosin in there. I wish I could get my hands on some pics for you guys, it's a really nice piece.

Like I said, If I run across one that's already been "bubba-ized".....;)

azredhawk44

Is this the article?

ATG13121110987654321.jpg

Tikirocker

Customizing a rifle is like putting custom wheels and paint on a car. It makes it personal, unique.

It's much more than that when it comes to a Military Rifle ... why not just custom a sporter? People often make permanent alterations to the rifle in question which devalue it as a Military collectible ... I don't get the reasoning or the need.

Buy a sporter if you want a sporter and custom that ... it will still be unique but at least it won't be some bling'd to crap pig with a mini skirt. To me it's like putting mag wheels and a spoiler on a tractor ... ridiculous. :barf:

Dezynco

No that's not the article. This is the last of 8 articles in a series. This article deals with the finishing touches. I would like to get my hands on the other 7 back issues to see what all he went through to get it to look like that!

Before you guys give it a :barf:, you really ought to pick up the July 21, 2008 issue of Shotgun News, then make you judgements. It's for sure nothing to yack on! Old Coffield did a really nice job on it.

Sorry, but I've read the article and seen the pictures, and the finished rifle is definately NOT a tractor with crome wheels in a miniskirt. It's a good looking, professional-looking rifle that (almost) anyone would be proud to show off. Take a look if you get a chance! It's hard to believe that it's actually a Mosin!

gandog56

Number 1- Sacrilege!

Number 2- Why spend way more than a rifle costs to spif it out? Since I can get a Mosin for 70 bucks no problem.

Curtis(USAF)

Sure the Mosin is dirty and ugly and beat all the heck and gone. Thats cause a couple scared commie kids dragged it all the way from Moscow to Berlin killing Germans and bleeding all over the darned thing.

Why don't you take a classic car, rip out the original engine, throw in an LS2, carbon fiber the entire interior, and replace the factory wheels with spinners while you're at it?

"but Curtis, theres tons of these old rifles laying around." Yeah, and there used to be tons of Garands, Arisakas, mausers, Carcanos, Enfields, and M-1 carbines laying around too, for dirt cheap. Where'd they all go? Some are locked up in collections, some got destroyed because S@(* happens, and a bunch got chopped up and made into a sporting rifles. They've outlasted the warriors that packed them, the gear that came with them, the uniforms, and even the battlegrounds themselves. The rifles and weapons are just about the only things left that a common man with a historic interest can purchase for himself, and hold in his own two hands.

Sorry about the rant, its the Amateur historian in me. *Wanders off to fondle the Mauser I just bought today* "Filthy Hobbitses! Pay them no mind, My precciooouussss!"

workinwifdakids

There are two types of comments going on here, both dead wrong.

First, that Mosins (or mil-surps in general) are crap.

Second, that 'sporterizing' is more accurate, or more appealing.

Neither could be further from the truth.

Tikirocker

First, that Mosins (or mil-surps in general) are crap.

If this in any way relates to me calling a Mosin a Tractor and relating it to a pig then that's a misunderstanding of what I am saying. Just to clarify in case your comment is directed towards me ... my point is merely that a Military rifle is a functional rifle, a working rifle and was meant for battle ... it is a workhorse and a tractor. My relating it to a pig is not meant to mean it's crap or ugly but rather a metaphor to suggest that sporter and battle rifle go together like pig and a mini skirt go together. They don't.

I own one ... and love it.

Dezynco

I'm not saying that Mosins are ugly! They're beautiful in there own way! Kinda like a freckle-faced girl! I have absolutely no intentions of stripping my two Mosins (M44 and 91/30 "hex top"). But this gunsmith took an old Mosin that was already bastardized (there should be plenty of them out there) and turned it into a very fine rifle. If I run across one that's had the stock chopped or replaced, but still has a good action and barrel, what better way to honor it than to make a first-class sporting rifle out of it? I purchased an old P17 Enfield that was "sporterized" years ago. It has a nice walnut stock and has been drilled and tapped for a scope. I didn't do it, just bought it that way at a good price because I knew what I was holding. I always wonder if it shot any Germans during the War.

Look at the pics! Buy the magazine! You'll see what I mean! The rifle he built is fantastic! I'd never stip down an original, matching rifle. But "bubba-ized" rifles are easy to come by on the cheap. You'll never be able to make them worth anything because the numbers will not match, so why not make it more valuable by making a real nice rifle out of it instead of letting it rot in a storage bin somewhere?

Tikirocker

Dez,

You've been good hearted about the flak from us die hards ... I know where you're coming from just so you know. In the case you mentioned where a rifle is already drilled and tapped and hacked ... I can see every reason to sporter it, it's just sad when people take a mint rifle and do it that gets my blood going and talk of it sometimes gives newbies idea's ... BAD idea's. :mad:;)

Dezynco

Whew! You guys were coming down on me pretty hard!

The rifle he built is almost a "tribute" to the Mosin Nagant. It's real purdy! Run down to the newsstand and check it out!

I'll start shopping for a "bubba" and maybe have a custom sporter built out of it some day.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
So is it no different than a biker putting 60 grand in an old 45 flathead harley? It was once olive drab and ugly as sin... Now polished and chrome accenting custom paint.... Once I own anything it is removed from the collectors pool anyway...
Brent