Did The Trade... Win. 190 .22

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Well I decided to trade my ol' cheap Savage MKII for this old 190... It was grungy as all get out as expected and did a quickie clean... Need to re-up on chemicals.

So far 5 mags full and nary a failure to feed...

My ol' Savage was the $99 one sold at walmart 10+/- years ago... Had a crack in the stock from being in my SUV rollover and lost the magazine that day too... But the scope was still on zero and it is a tack driver...

This 190 is plenty accurate in fairly unrestrained fire from 50 feet without my glasses across iron sights... We will see how it does after a real good scrubbin' and some bench rest shooting.

It looks very nice considering it is at least 30 years old. From what I can find dating these is spotty at best???

My SN# is B1127900

Brent

Doyle

Brent, my first real gun was a 190. It was stolen back in about '78. A few years ago, I picked up another one and it still sits in my safe. I use it every once in a while. My cycles perfectly and is quite accurate. The only thing bad is a really stiff trigger (a common complaint among 190 owners).

sc928porsche

The Win mod# 190 is my favorite .22. I have had it since mid 70's. It is accurate and seems to feed on any brand of ammo that I give it. After a heavy day at the range, I remove the trigger group and spray down the bolt and trigger assy. with Brake Kleen, run #9 through the bore, and oil down with gun oil. She seems to out shoot all the .22's that I have except the Anschutez.

Big Shrek

Rule Number ONE about posting serial numbers...just post the first two after the letter, and XXXX for the rest...
You never know, some Jackwagon could report it as stolen and then you are up squishy creek if it ever gets checked by BATF/LEO's.
Even if you have receipts/etc...it can be a real hassle...best to avoid it altogether...

That being said, I've got a 250...all the 100-200 series were based off the same action components :)
after-cleaning1.jpg

And I LIKE it!! Got to get it to the range one of these days...bought it two months ago...all I've done is clean the Bleep out of it ;)
but the new twin boys eat up most of my spare time...almost 10-months old now...
so not much range time these days...kinda hard to get used to when I would go two-three times a week before...lol

MemphisJim

My 290 was a welcome home Christmas gift in '68 after a 13-month tour of studying conflict resolution and nation building in the Southeast Asia "live fire zone." I still have it and regularly shoot it. Yes, the trigger is somewhat problemmatic on the 100-200 series. I've had occasional issues with a round hanging up somewhere in the tube mag; it's the only rifle I've ever had that did an unintended discharge; and it's accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. But I still love it and will pass it on down to son who'll pass it to his son, along with the Models 61 and 63 and the Model 70 Featherweight (.308). The 290 isn't a "classic" Winchester in the true sense but I treat it as one and give it the same love its "legitimate" brothers get.

Peter M. Eick

Fun gun, but the 190 is a pain to put back together when you clean it. The problem is the recoil spring and guide.

The best two approaches I have seen is form a loop of thick paper about 1.5" wide around the spring and use it as a guide to push the spring back in. The other approach is use two screw drivers and just walk the spring back into the bolt a loop at a time. Do a search on youtube to see what I am talking about.

Once you master putting it back together, you will find the rest of the gun easy and fun.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I saw the two screwdriver method but due to an arm and hand injury, I will never be able to pull that off.

So to adjust, adapt and overcome, I put my redneck head to work instead... My method is to take a piece of wire (stainless heavy tie wire is what I had) twice as long as spring... insert wire in spring and put both in the hole on receiver and put inward pressure on wire with one hand while simply compressing the spring with the other... once in, just remove wire while holding spring in place... worked super easy for me...

Brent