Did the Rossi 22 plinker change?

oldcabin

Hello, I was doing a casual gunblast.com check to see what had been posted in the last few months. He had a Rossi 22 2" revolver. 98102
I have previously read the Taurus 94 and similar to be problematic and have a awful 17-18+ pound DA trigger. Lots of reports here, I believe them.
The Rossi shown looks different than the shiny Taurus ones I've read about and handled. It looks matte finished. I Don't care necessarily other than to ask is it a new / improved firearm?
The measured single and double pull is a more reasonable 3 pounds 6 ounces and 9 pounds 3 ounces. Slight other changes to machined edges. It's capacity is 8 vs Taurus 9.

Any one own a recent one or can comment on the newer produced ones vs old or vs the Taurus 94? Thanks.

aarondhgraham

I purchased a 4" Plinker in December,,,

I purchased a 4" Plinker in December,,,
It definitely has the matte black finish.

That's okay by me,,,
It matches the rifle I paired it with.

160116-RossiSavage.JPG

It's a nice little handgun,,,
The DA was very gritty at first.

I've put a few hundred rounds through her now,,,
As well as half a can of spray clean.

It still doesn't compare to my older S&W's,,,
But then again what revolver does.

I like the gun quite a bit,,,
It's a decent shooting gun for a non-S&W price.

Aarond

Targa

I have the 4" and echo Aaron's comments with the exception of mine being the blued finish. Have to say I like the matte bkack finish a bit better. Great gun, I take a couple of guns to the range with me on a rotation with exception of the Rossi, it always gets range time, I just like it that much.

aarondhgraham

Here is mine in comparison with a S&W 63,,,

Here is mine in comparison with a S&W 63,,,

160113-RossiR98vs63-lr.jpg

As you can see,,,
It's J-frame comparable.

Aarond

Obambulate

There are actually 12 different Plinker models. The R98102, R98104, and R98106 are blued steel, .22lr with 2", 4", and 6" barrels.

Then there's the R98202, R98204, and R98206, same guns as above but in stainless steel.

Then we have all the models above available in .22 Magnum, They are designated R99102, R99104, R99106, R99202, R99204, and R99206.

All have 8-shot cylinders. The weights are 28-oz for the 2", 29-oz for the 4" and 30-oz for the 6". Though the frames are roughly the same size as J-frames, the top strap and barrel rib is beefier than the comparable Smiths and the weights are 3-5 oz heavier than the steel kit guns from Smith.

I have an older Rossi 515 built on this same frame. I like the thick barrel and the overall balance. Mine's a 6-shot 4" in .22 Magnum. The stainless finish and walnut grips are quite nice. If the modern ones are as good as mine (built in 1994), they are worth looking into.