Did some casting and powder coating today, new molds!

Shadow9mm

Got 2 new molds today. both .429 lees, a 200g Flat Point, and a 240g swc.

Also got a RCBS lead thermometer and got my temps mostly figured out. was casting WAY too hot.

Managed to get NOE mold hot enough to cast. it was only hitting about 215f warming on the pot. Tooke it to the electric stove burner.

Did some powder coating without melting my bullets. Good day!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• cast.jpg
    cast.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 150
  • bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 358
  • Powder Coat.jpg
    Powder Coat.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 157

Beagle333

Nice looking! 'Good to see somebody melting lead. I should be firing up the ol' pot one day soon, after the time changes. I just don't have time to do much, other than feed chickens and turkeys after work before it gets dark now.

Shadow9mm

So far that's what I have been doing. I saw a method with a powder coat gun that looked interesting on castboolits. That will be my next try. It involves standing the bullets up, buy before coating. And so far it's easier than pan lubing.luring.

One thing I noticed with the clear, went on easier, stayed in place better. And you can't see if it's missing in any spots.

mehavey

...a powder coat gun...
I've got one I bought in the garage.
It's still in the garage. ;)

If you haven't already, get/use
- A tightly-locking TupperWare container
- Bottom covered to an inch with airsoft plastic BB's (tan/dark brown best for static)
- 90-sec shake -- magic coating
- Pick out/set on parchment paper with spring-loaded/narrow-nose wire stripper pliers

You'll never look back . . . :)

Mike / Tx

Oh man, better be careful following that fellow...:D next thing ya know you'll be building a PID outta a medium flat rate box...;)

That said, I took your lead and hit the lead pot up for a few trinkets. I did a test batch of 311-121's for the 30 Carbine, a batch of NOE 403-181-WFN HP's, NOE 460-315-RF HP's, and some MP 413-640 LG and Sm HP's.

Attachments

• 20220208_163420.jpg
    20220208_163420.jpg
    721.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220208_160231.jpg
    20220208_160231.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

Shadow9mm

Oh man, better be careful following that fellow...:D next thing ya know you'll be building a PID outta a medium flat rate box...;)

That said, I took your lead and hit the lead pot up for a few trinkets. I did a test batch of 311-121's for the 30 Carbine, a batch of NOE 403-181-WFN HP's, NOE 460-315-RF HP's, and some MP 413-640 LG and Sm HP's.
Good looking bullets! Hoping to cast a bit more tomorrow once it gets above freezing.

Beagle333

next thing ya know you'll be building a PID outta a medium flat rate box...

I have TWO of them now, and they're superb!! haha. I don't even want a tiny little metal box to try to get my fat fingers into. ;)

It's starting to warm up here a bit. When time changes, it'll be more inviting to get out there and cast.