Did not get the Blackhawk

finfanatic

I went to the gunshow today with the hope of getting a Blackhawk convertible .357/9mm. I did not find a convertible, but did find a new model Blackhawk.

I also found a sweet barely fired Colt Cobra that I really wanted, but the guy would not bargain unless I had cash, and all I had was my checkbook, so...

I also found a Ruger Vaquero, and it felt great. I kept going back and forth between the Vaquero and the Blackhawk.

I finally decided on this:

Ruger-Vaquero1.jpg

Ruger-Vaquero2.jpg

I left the gunshow and went to shoot it. Very nice shooter of .357s but for some reason the WWB .38 FMJ are very accurate!

I'm in the market for a nice cowboy rig now, and I think I am going to change the grips out.

Anybody have some nice grips they want to show off and tell where they got them?

Jim March

That's a NewVaq357, which is a better gun than the "Old Vaquero", at least in 357.

The NewVaq is very similar in size/heft to a Colt SAA, maybe a bit heavier but fits the same holsters. The "Old Vaq" was built on a larger "44Mag-class" frame and were oversize for the 357 caliber. The NewVaq357 cylinder is still bigger than a GP100 or S&W 686 so it's by no means "weak". ALL factory ammo including the wildest stuff by Buffalo Bore, Doubletap and Grizzly Ammo will work and it can eat a basically unlimited diet of same.

On average, the NewVaq is more accurate than it's bigger cousins. Some "large frame series" parts still fit, including hammer swaps - mine now wears a SuperBlackhawk hammer fr'instance.

My gun is the same as yours, with a 4.68" barrel and a pretty wild set of modifications:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1jimmarch/3630584151/in/photostream/

Mose Jefferson

Holy smokes, Jim, I've never seen a cooler revolver.
I've been trying to decide between either a New Vaquero or a USFA Rodeo, in .45 colt, and this brief thread just gained the Ruger some points. Durability is my #1 concern. Maybe you folks have some advice?
Regardless, it'll be a little while. I've got a nice new GP-100 to get used to. :D

Mose Jefferson

Whad'yah know, seach functions work!

I answered my own inquiry by searching for "rodeo vs new vaquero".

Congrats on the sweet .357!

PetahW

I dressed my NV with one of the Ruger Custom Grips ( I picked Checkered Rosewood @ $50), ordered directly off Ruger's website online store.

DSCN0517.JPG

Jim March

Rodeo v. NewVaq:

First off: both are attempts to closely mimic the size/helf/shape/handling of the Colt SAA. Both fit in the same holsters (if they're the same barrel length). So the differences are going to be subtle!

* Rodeo is of course "traditional inside": flat springs and no safety. NewVaq has a modern transfer bar safety, perfectly OK to carry it fully loaded. That's the single biggest difference, and the Ruger's coil springs give it a possible slight reliability edge....very slight if at all however, as modern flat springs aren't bad. And the Rodeo lacks the transfer bar that every once in a while breaks on a Ruger.

* USFA for some reason isn't making 357s. They make 38Spls. I don't know why exactly, something about primer flow around the firing pin. So if you want a 357...on the other hand, Ruger doesn't make 44-40s or a number of other calibers USFA supports, although fewer in the Rodeo.

* Sights: factory, USFA sights are just a little "sharper", more square, esp. on the front. Slight edge USFA.

* Trigger feel: the NewVaq isn't bad, but the Rodeo will probably be a bit better stock. However, Rugers are easier to work on without gunsmith training and spring kits are cheap. I did a full spring kit on mine very easily.

* Modifications and tuning: the whole Ruger product line can "parts swap" to a high degree. Hammers, triggers, grip frames, etc. Mine wears an SBH hammer as mentioned; you can adapt these critters to your hands easily.

* Accuracy: probably about a wash; if there's a slight edge it might go to the USFA. It won't be much though. Ruger's new cylinder-making process for the NewVaq uses the same bit/reamer set on each cylinder bore in sequence. The large-frame cylinders were drilled all-six-at-once. That's why the NewVaq cylinder bores are coming out uniform. That's helped Ruger catch up to USFA. Mine has shot 2" groups at 25yds with factory ammo and can probably do better with heavy hardcasts of good quality. With such ammo, USFAs are regularly clocking groups around 1.25" to 1.5".

Upshot: if "street carry" is at all a consideration, the Ruger's safety is a big edge. For CAS/SASS games the Rodeo might have a small edge.

If you want something with no safety (traditional five-up carry) the Rodeo is a much better idea than the Italian guns, unless you care too much about looks.

tomh1426

I love the way the grips look and feel but they are kinda slick, when Im shooting a HOT .45 Colt I wear a glove.
I was thinking about having another pair made without the high gloss finish.