Did Marlin make a very short 30/30 carbine????

lawdogkms

An old timer, at my old hunting club back in Georgia years ago, had a very small lever action 30/30 that he stuck between the seats of his pickup..

I asked him if I could look at it one day, and I discovered it was a Marlin 30/30 carbine...

If my memory serves me correctly, it was quite a bit smaller than the 16" Winchester Trapper Carbines we have nowadays....

I'm trying to find out if Marlin ever made a very short 30/30 carbine from the factory, or if this old timer had a larger gun cut down...

The barrel couldn't have been longer than 14" or so...

Anybody have any info?

C.R.Sam

An extremely small (15) number of 1893 carbines were made with 15" barrels.

Since the 93 was made from 1893-1935, and in four calibers......long odds against you seein a 15 incher in 30-30. Possible tho.

More likely a cut down. That is not at all uncommon.

More to come, I would hope.

Sam.

Backwoods

Marlin made a short rifle they called a "Marauder" Late '60s early '70s, I think. It would have been a 16 inch barrel, Numrich sold the left over barrels after Marlin discontinued the model. I don't remember what calibers it came in but given the time period, 30/30 would be a good bet.

Don in Ohio

Jake 98c/11b

If you check the C&R lists you will see a few old lever actions that left the factory with a barrel length less than 16", if it is on the list you can own it without it being viewed as a short barreled rifle. If it is not on the list it must be a registered short barrel rifle. Doesn't make much sense, you could have two guns that are sequentially numbered, both 14" and have one be legal and the other comes with a 10 year sentence and a hefty fine. Kinda like having one AR come off the line with a bayonet lug and collapsable stock and that is OK but the next to leave the assembly line can't have those features, kinda pointless but there we are. The old lever actions were available special order that way from the factory. I saw a 44-40 that had no more than a 12 inch (or so) barrel that was C&R exempt because it left the factory that way.

Sundance

You are forgiven...I had to ask that myself on this forum once...It stands for Curios and Relics...and apparently there is a special license for it...

Jake 98c/11b

If you get a C&R license, often refered to as a collectors license, you can order C&R guns from out of state just as your local dealer does. There are two types of C&R guns out there, as I remember it that is. One is just a listing of old and collectable guns that a C&R dealer can purchase on his/her license. The second is a list of guns that are exempt from some of the restrictions on NFA guns (NFA=National Firearms Act). Short barreled rifles to include stocked pistols, smooth bore pistols, short barreled shotguns, etc.. Not many of some categories, like I said the Marlin short barreled rifles for example are listed by serial number but some other guns are just listed by date of manufacture. This is an admittedly poor explanation but I hope it is of some help.

Jamis

In the 80's they made a model 30 with a straight grip stock and an 18 1/2" barrel. Neat compact little gun. I've actually got one I'm planning on selling. :)

Jamis

It's in excellent condition. No rust or pitting and the blueing is 99%. Sorry I don't have a picture. I'd take $200.00 plus shipping.