Did it really, though? coins purportedly save soldier

rickyrick

Hello, I see this image almost daily on social media, claims to have stopped a WW1 bullet.

I think the bullet was still moving fast as it nicked the coins.

What say you?

ea21eac05729ee3c9825e8fd7e2fc2cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmr40

It wouldn't be unheard of. I've read of credible instances of bullets being stopped by thick jackets, cell phones, wallets, small Bibles, diaries in pockets, etc.

I personally know one Deputy whose wallet stopped a 40 S&W cartridge and another friend who was hit on a leather belt near the buckle where the bullet had to pass through 2 layers of leather.

It didn't completely stop the bullet, but it only penetrated his skin, not the muscle. He was ablet to push the bullet back through the hole in his skin and saved it. Other than being sore and bruised he was not injured.

Shadow9mm

coins were probably flat in a pocket. looks like the bullet came in at an angle. Might have deflected it enough to miss the person, or just graze them.

Sure they could have stopped the bullet, or slowed it enough to keep it from penetrating. What you don't know is the impact velocity and the caliber and weight of the bullet. It may not have been moving all that fast when it hit.

DaleA

I'm not going to bother to look it up but years ago there was a sensationalistic headline, like from the National Inquirer, about how silicon implants in a woman saved her life because the bullet otherwise would have penetrated further and maybe killed her...yeah, 'journalism' today. That said, I admit I read it and obviously remember it, so....bad me.

DaleA

Also lets not forget the Woody Allen bit where he keeps a bullet in his breast pocket so that if somebody throws a bible at him he will be protected.

44 AMP

Staff
A real life example can be found in the movie Tora Tora Tora.

Adm Kimmel, is watching the attack on the fleet at Pearl Harbor from his HQ, standing behind a set of french doors. A bullet breaks the glass, and strikes him, bouncing off his uniform jacket. It was reported as having been a "spent" Japanese 7,7mm round.

History is full of examples of bullets being stopped by various things, particualy things not usually thought of as "bulletproof".

Most of the time, there's no way of knowing what speed those bullets were moving when they got stopped. Often in combat, they're not doing full muzzle velocity.

when the stars line up in just the right way, the most unlikely things can happen.

rickyrick

I have also heard of bullets traveling around the inside of the old steel pot type helmets. The original picture that I referred too looked to me like the bullet caught the edge of the stack of coins and kept traveling. After put in the correct context, it made a lot more sense.
What the articles don’t mention it’s the caliber and type of weapon. But it seems from the account that this was close quarters. Could have possibly been a pistol, who knows. But the soldiers were close enough together that the coins could be heard by the German soldier.

44 AMP

Staff
I have also heard of bullets traveling around the inside of the old steel pot type helmets

Bullets have done that. Bullets do all kinds of strange things when conditions are exactly right for them to happen. Speed, impact angle, bullet construction and material impacted are the main factors.

If you don't think so, go skip rocks. :D

In my book on sniping, I tell an of account where a man is shot and goes down. His buddies grab him and pull him to safety. They began to unbotton him to examine him for wounds. The bullet was stopped by a medal he had on him.

I've seen a cigarette case that stopped a bullet. Better yet, a bible. Rememberthe Civil War's Lt. Dixon who commanded the submarine Hunley? They found his gold coin that stopped a minie ball aboard the Hunley. It's displayed with the sub. These things happen.

M3 Pilot

Many years ago, one of my patients had attempted suicide with a .22 pistol to upper palate. The bullet was deflected by the inner surface of his skull and and circumnavigated his skull. Very little serious damage was done.

101combatvet

Hello, I see this image almost daily on social media, claims to have stopped a WW1 bullet.

I think the bullet was still moving fast as it nicked the coins.

What say you?

ea21eac05729ee3c9825e8fd7e2fc2cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like twenty Belgium Francs. That should be enough silver to stop a bullet.