did i screw anything up on my new rifle?????

whitearrow

good evening fellas. i just got a new weatherby vanguard s2 back country in .257 wby mag. before mounting the scope up i loaded up the mag with 3 empty brass cases shot from another 257 wby mag i had just to see if the new one would feed and eject empties w/o issues. so to my question. did i harm anything chambering empty rounds shot out of another rifle that haven't been resized? the fed and extracted just fine but were a lil tight to chamber. just wondering if i screwed anything up on my new rifle?
thanks,
eddie

Pathfinder45

No worries. They are a little tight to chamber because your chamber is just slightly tighter than the one they were fired in. Sometimes the difference in chamber size is great enough between two rifles that the fired case from the first rifle will not chamber at all in the second, but the fired case from the tighter chamber always chambers in the larger chambered rifle.

whitearrow

thanks guys for the reassuring comments. i didn't even think about the chambers being at different dimensions. i don't reload,yet, so i'm new to all the brass sizing to the specific chamber that it was fired in thing. i just started thinking after i chambered and extracted the 3 rounds that were more difficult than usual to close the bolt but extracted fine. i just hoped i didn't harm anything in the new gun like chamber or barrel or anything.
thanks,
eddie

gwpercle

No harm, no foul.
The fact the rifle feed empty cases is great, loaded rounds with bullets should be no problem what so ever. Good indication that the feeding is proper.
Enjoy that rifle!
Gary

whitearrow

yeah it fed em fine. just a lil harder to close the bolt than normal but not like i had to stand on the bolt to close or anything. bearhntr what did you do to yours? you said you did the same thing. i had a previous 257 wby that i shot the ammo thru and used that fired brass to test my new 257 wby ha!
thanks and keep em coming,
eddie

RC20

They make a thing called Snap Cap, keep a couple of those (they come in pack of two for rifles) on hand for working and or checking actions.

Dud round with a bullet shape, works a treat and you don't have to worry about live rounds.

note; that does not mean you don't treat it like its a live round but its a huge safety plus, magnenta rounds its safe.

Nothing you did would have hurt the rifle or its chamber in the least, just not as slick as a re-sized round and even those don't have a bullet in them to work up the ramp nicely.

T. O'Heir

Empty brass cases will not bother your rifle. Unless they get stuck because they need FL resizing. Even that won't hurt your rifle.
"...I don't reload, yet..." You will. .257 Weatherby starts at $42.99 per 20. Twice that if the box is Weatherby brand.

whitearrow

I hear ha T and wog! I don't shoot it much or i would definitely be reloading and yeah the brass is high price for them. I just buy the wby brand 100 grain spitzer ammo and use that for getting close then bring out the sho nuff high dollar wby brand 110 grain accubonds which are like $85 a box.
Thanks fellas,
Eddie

gyvel

thanks guys for the reassuring comments. i didn't even think about the chambers being at different dimensions.

This is primarily due to manufacturing tolerances, so no worries at all.

tobnpr

Fired cases can (and will be, in the same rifle) be a little tight to chamber- because they haven't been re-sized. When the brass expands tight to the chamber walls on detonation, it contracts back in milliseconds- but not all the way to it's original size.

This is why we have sizing dies when we reload...

Mobuck

Lucky me. Back when the "generic" 100 grain factory ammo came out, I bought 10 boxes for about $25 per box. Also bought some Federals for $15 on a wholesaler closeout. Still have some of both. I also found I could re-form 264 Win mag brass into usable 257 Wby brass for less than 1/2 the cost of Wby headstamp brass.

dgludwig

Quote:
.257 Weatherby starts at $42.99 per 20.

Quote:
At those prices I'd be more worried about messing up the brass!

Yeah, it's pretty bad when you have to put a box of ammo in lay-away before you can afford to take it home. :)

whitearrow

come on fellas it ain't that bad. you just can't take your 257 roy ground hog huntin. stick with deer huntin and you will be fine. i don't shoot mine any more than 10 times per year unless i'm having a stupendous whitetail season lol!