Did I pay too much for this S&W M27-2?

Icopy

I bought a Smith & Wesson Model 27-2 at a show over the weekend. The serial number shows it was made in 1980. It has a nickel finish, 4" pinned barrel, recessed chambers, checkered top strap, checkered barrel rib, checkered sight rib, target hammer and trigger, and target stocks. The front and rear strap are grooved. It came wrapped in the rust paper in the original plain blue box with metal reinforced corners and had all the paperwork and manual. It looks like it was fired very little and cleaned up nicely. However, after I cleaned it, I noticed that one ejector pin was missing. I called Smith and Wesson and they are sending a new one out to me. The front site and the barrel looks like they were forged from a single piece of metal, because I can’t find a seam anywhere. I paid $450 out the door. Did I pay too much?

Zander

Did I pay too much?

I don't think so...but then, we'd really like to see some pics to reassure you. :cool:

I assume the barrel is pinned if the cylinders are recessed. And I'm intrigued by your description of the checkering.

Please share with us N-frame buffs...

C.R.Sam

If in 100 percent condition with box.

Looks like spot on for fair retail price (out the door).
If it has white outline rear sight, you a little ahead.

Sam

VictorLouis

From what I understand, the M27 in a four-inch tube is one of the more scarce variations. Nickle would probably be even more so. Sounds like you did just fine.:cool:

Radicalcleric

$450 is the upper end of the price range but it sounds like yours should be up there. I recently bought an 8 & 3/8 M27-2 in about 97% at auction and paid $315 but that was a good deal and I was prepared to pay more. I have a 5" nickeled M27 that is just about my favorite gun.

Let me ask you a question. If you like the gun, and keep it a long time (maybe forever), what difference does a few dollars mean? The price is really only important to people who plan to sell the gun for a profit. If it's going to be YOUR gun, who cares if you had to pay a few extra bucks to get it.

C.R.Sam

Vic....3½ and 5 inchers bring premium. Not 4.
No premium for nickle in the 27.....puzzlement to me.

Sam........

Scarborough

I think you did just fine. The last 27 we had around here was a 5'' that finally went out the door for $550.00. That was about a year ago.

Icopy

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, my M27 does have the white outlined rear sight and the red ramp insert and the pinned barrel. I can't wait to shoot it. I had a hard time finding one at the show. There were only four at this one. I'm still kicking myself for passing up the 5 1/2 version I saw last fall. I'll post a range report in a few days. I'm curious to see how a 22 year old revolver will shoot.

RWK

I believe you received a fair price, and the 27-2 is a great revolver . . . truly one of the best ever produced. Some time ago, I bought a 30 year old, five-inch, blued, P&Red, 27-2 in superb condition for ~$500. Lot's of our TFL brethren felt I paid too much, but it is my favorite handgun -- flawless and accurate -- and I would not sell it today for $1000.

Value is what something is worth to the individual, not just to the market place.

Enjoy your 27-2!!

M

m3bullet

Good price by me

For comparison, I paid $365 for the 1977-vintage, P&R, TT, TH, 6" barreled, nickle M27-2 shown below about a year and a half ago. No box, patridge front sight, excellent condition. So, in comparision, I think you did well as far as prices here in SoCal.

Smoooothest, most accurate shootin' iron I've experienced. My only complaint is I like to keep it spotless, and because getting it spotless is a major effort, I tend not to shoot it. I gotta get over that!

SWM27.jpg

VictorLouis

Sam,

SmithNut pointed out to me the relative rarity of the 4" tubes. Personally, I've seen them prevalent in this order: 6", 8"+, 3.5", and 5". I don't think I've ever seen a 4", and I attend a lot of shows here.:) You may be right, though, with regard to the demand for those two bbl. lengths.

jjmorgan64

No such thing as paying to much.

You just bought to early, in a couple of years it'll be worth more than you paid for it.;)